Strengthening Democracy Colorado (SDC) is a think tank and direct action outfit founded in 2015. SDC's primary mission is to develop and to pursue ideas and direct action leading to a democracy and public policy in the state of Colorado that works for everybody. With a focus on electoral reforms that increase participation in our democracy and preserve our rights as citizens in the United States. We practice boots on the ground politics representing directly the communities we live and work in. An outfit truly made of by and for Coloradans.
Our volunteers have a voice in our political decisions and are found on the front lines of Colorado's democracy reform. SDC is fueled by small dollar donors with 65% recurring donations contributing to the causes of our committed volunteers in protecting electoral rights. It is the powered by people difference which makes us distinct from most nonprofits in the money in politics space.
All too often, you find that nonprofits are funded by foundations and corporations leading to organizations holding the perspective of the wealthiest Americans rather than the populations they are trying to serve. Because we bring people power to the political equation we have the liberty to look beyond what big money views as acceptable solutions and follow our volunteers' paths towards our victory.
We are determined to defend the voices and power of our most marginalized citizens in our republic. Lost can be the days where others are disinterested or resigned.
Jason Legg is the Director of SDC.
We are currently focusing our efforts on these reforms:
- Requiring public tax return disclosure from major candidates for office;
- Automated voter registration through government offices that currently offer voter registration;
- Joining the National Popular Vote Compact;
- Switching to ranked choice voting to prevent third party spoilers while facilitating third party growth;
- Moving municipal and school board elections to even years;
- Creating a robust Election Day leave program.