PE and Sports Grant
What is the Primary School PE and Sports Grant?
In April 2013 the government announced new funding of £150 million for Physical Education (PE and Sports) to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. The funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport – has been allocated to primary school headteachers. This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- Hire specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- Start new or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Pay for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Provide cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Run sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Spend money on sports equipment
- Provide places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs
Primary PE and Sports Grant Documents
PE and Sports Funding (2018-19):
PE and Sports Funding (2017-18):
Summary of Sports Clubs and Fixtures (2018-19):