Southeastern Stokes Middle School
Spring Sports Tryout Info
Spring sports tryouts will begin soon. Every student who attends tryouts should have a current physical completed. If your son/daughter needs a physical, please have them pick up a physical form from Mr. Blackburn or from the front office here at SSMS.
Practice will begin on Wednesday, February 26th.
Practice each day unless otherwise notified. Begins at 3:00 and ends at 5:00. Some details:
- All track athletes should be picked up beside the big gym.
- Parents should not drive behind the big gym towards the bus parking lot to pick up athletes. There should be no vehicle traffic at any time behind the big gym/cafeteria due to student safety concerns.
- Please dress appropriately for both cold and warm weather. Students still must meet SCS dress code requirements. You MUST have warm clothes that are sport appropriate to stay after for track.
- Voluntary baseball workouts will begin on Monday, February 3rd. Meet in small gym after school.
- Tryouts will begin on February 5th and run through February 7th.
- Be SURE to have weather appropriate clothing (jacket/hoodie). If weather allows us to be outside, that’s where tryouts will be.
- NO CLEATS indoors at any time. Be sure to bring tennis shoes in case we have to be inside.
- Be sure your physical is up-to-date and on file at school before you attend workouts/tryouts.
- Have your ride pick you up at the big gym promptly at 5:00 p.m.
- If the event of inclement weather, tryouts will be moved to the next available school day unless otherwise noted.
- Baseball players will store bat bags in the wrestling team room (boys locker room) in the morning. Room is locked during the school day so that all equipment is secure.
- Parents should not drive behind the big gym towards the bus parking lot to pick up athletes. There should be no vehicle traffic at any time behind the big gym / cafeteria due to student safety concerns.
- First day for tryouts TBA (Season doesn’t begin until mid-March)
- Need tennis racket, warm clothes, tennis shoes or sneakers
- Student-athletes should be picked up at the tennis courts each day.
- Tryouts will be February 5-7
- Be at field by 3:15.
- Rides should be here at SSMS at 5:30
- Student-athletes should be picked up at the back of the big gym
- Softball equipment stored in C-12. This door is locked during the day. Athletes can only get back in at the 3:00 bell.
- Dress warmly and appropriately for tryouts. No shorts.
- There will be two cut days.
- Tentative: TBA
- Be sure to bring golf clubs to school
- Golf clubs will be locked up during the day.
- Golfers will ride to Hemlock on yellow bus daily
- Dress appropriately for a golf course and for the weather.
Thoughts as we begin the Spring season:
Ask them 3 great learning questions: Post-practice or competition, when your child asks you “how did I do?” the door has been opened for you to take them down a path of self-discovery and ask these magic questions:
- What went well?
- What needs work?
- What did you learn from today that you can work on in practice in order to improve?
If you help your children see the good and the bad of their performance, and help them formulate a plan moving forward, good things happen.
Southeastern Stokes Middle School Sports
- Coach Responsibility
- # 1 Responsibility: Keep our athletes SAFE. On the field, court, tennis courts, etc.
- # 2 Responsibility: Help our student-athletes grow as people (values of teamwork, unselfishness, handling adversity, etc.
- # 3 Responsibility: Help our student-athletes get better every day. The first game you watch will NOT be the finished product. The last game may not be, but our coaches will help players get better each day.
- Parent Responsibility
- Be a positive example for all of our student-athletes- our primary responsibility is to demonstrate to our kids how to handle adversity (lack of playing time / being challenged by coaches / POOR OFFICIATING).
- Remember that our coaches COACH because they love kids. Our coaches often choose to spend time away from their own kids in order to spend time with yours and make your kids’ lives better… How powerful is that? That demands respect… even when coaches make decisions with which you disagree.
- Every time a parent demeans a coach in front of their son or daughter, they teach that son or daughter a lesson. What are the lessons we are teaching our kids with our own behavior? Just a thought.
- Be sure to take a 24-hour cooling-off period if there’s a problem with a coach unless it is an issue of immediate physical safety… but we absolutely WILL listen to your concerns and address those in the proper manner.
- Refereeing…. Let’s do the best we can. Most of them are doing the best that they can.
- Student Responsibility
- Don’t embarrass your family. Don’t embarrass your teammates. Don’t embarrass your school.
- Respect authority.
- Parents need to do the following before they leave:
- Stokes County Schools Middle School handbook can be found online at http://www.stokes.k12.nc.us/pdf/athleticmiddle.pdf (printed versions are available for any parent upon request).
- Complete Emergency Sports Medicine Record (must complete one for each season in which student-athletes participate).
- Complete Private Transportation form (must complete one for each season in which student-athletes participate).
- Complete Concussion form (one time per year).
- Complete Stokes County Middle Schools Athletic Participation Requirements (front and back and this is only one time per year).
- Meet with coaches briefly for sport-specific meeting.
- Remind 101 Form
- Pick up forms. This is our best tool for getting information out quickly. Take as many as you need for each of your cell phone devices.
- We would prefer you to sign up this evening if at all possible.
- Athletes will be picked up at the following areas after practice:
- Front of SSMS by flagpole: volleyball, soccer, cross country, girls tennis and cheerleading.
- Behind SSMS by big gym: football ONLY.
- Parents CANNOT drive behind the school to pick their children up. Too many students, safety hazard, parents speeding through parking lot… all NOT good. Please help us keep our student/athletes safe.
- Fall sports pictures will take place here at SSMS on Wednesday, September 25th. Student/athletes will receive picture forms tonight.
- PEPSI FUNDRAISER (Forms and Incentives tonight)
- Our Foothills Middle School Conference ticket prices for adults this year. Ticket prices are as follows:
- Adults (9th grade and up) : $5.00
- Students (1st - 8th grade) : $2.00
- Under first grade gets in free.