Welcome to Ms. Upchurch's Fifth Grade Site!
Week of December 11, 2017
Hi everyone! Just some updates on things that are happening in class:
Our Christmas party will be on Wednesday December 20th right after mass. If your child is interested in participating, we will be doing a White Elephant gift excahnge! If you aren't familiar with White Elephant, a good list of the basic rules can be found here: https://www.elfster.com/how-to-play-a-white-elephant-gift-exchange-game/ . Your student will need to bring in a wrapped gift, no more than $10 in value that either a boy or girl would enjoy receiving. The object of the game is to get the most unique gift, so keep that in mind when picking out a gift for the gift exchange!
If you would like to, you may have your student bring in some snacks for our Christmas party for the class to share! We will be playing a Christmas Kahoot game, our White Elephant gift exchange, and then voting on a Christmas movie to watch! Should be a great way to kick off Christmas break!
Our class won the spirit flag award for the best hallway behavior for the month of November! We had a Holes watching party where we watched the movie and ate donut holes courtesy of Mrs. Bailey!
I wish you and your families a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!!
Week of November 27, 2017
Hi everyone! I hope you all had a restful and happy Thanksgiving weekend!
I want to start off by saying thank you so much for bringing in those empty paper towel rolls! Hopefully next week sometime, I can get some help putting together the bases of our Totem Poles so we can build them before Christmas break. If you are interested in helping, email me and let me know your availability to come in and help. It shouldn't take too long.
I am also looking for someone to help me organize a Christmas party for the class on Wednesday the 20th of December. I'm hoping to keep it pretty simple, maybe just some snacks and a simple git exchange of some kind, and watching a movie. If you are willing to help take this on, please let me know as well!
Next week, I will be sending out permission slips for our field trip to tour the state Capitol building in Salem. Our tour will be on Wednesday January 10, so I want to have all the details set before Christmas break. We will need 4 parent chaperones to come as well, so be thinking about whether or not you want to and are available to chaperone the trip!
Lastly, thank you for your donations for our Green Sale baskets! They will be sold this weekend at the Green Sale. Hope to see you there! Have a great weekend!
Week of November 13, 2017
Sorry I haven't updated my website in awhile, it's been a very busy few weeks!
I sent out an email this afternoon about a request to save your empty paper towel and toilet paper rolls for a project we will be doing at the end of our Native Americans studies unit. Please just send them to school with your child and I will store them until it is time to put together our Totem Poles! There will also be an opportunity for share hours around that time as well, as I will need some help hot gluing the cardboard rolls to the cardstock bases beforehand.
I will be sending home a permission slip for the movie Holes this week as well. We read it as a read aloud earlier this year, and as a reward for good behavior, I want to show them the movie. We will also be doing a compare and contrast activity where we talk about details from the movie that were present in the book, as well as missing from the books, and vice versa. I would like your permission because the movie is rated PG, and I know some of you may not be comfortable with your child watching a PG movie. If you do not give your permission, I will have an alternative activity for your child to do instead.
The Green Sale is coming up soon! The theme for the fifth grade basket is "Sports and Team Spirit"! Please bring in your donated items to class or to the office and we will make sure the items make it in the basket.
I hope everyone has a wonderful, restful Thanksgiving holiday! Blessings!
Week of October 23, 2017
Hope everyone has had a great week! Just a few reminders...
- The Halloween carnival is Friday October 27th. Our class' time to go to the carnival is from 1:30-2:30. Please remember to send your child's costume to school with them to change into before the start of the carnival.
- Next Tuesday the 31st will be the October Student of the Month assembly and a free dress day! The spirit theme is Pink and Crazy socks!
- All Saint's Day mass is Wednesday November 1st at 8:15 in the church.
Hope you all have a safe and happy Halloween!
Week of October 16, 2017
I have loved meeting all of you this week during conferences! I have gained valuable insights about your students during all of our conversations, and I know all of our kids are going to make a lot of growth this year!
Another thing that was asked during conferences was when our class tree planting with Friends of Trees would take place. With all the craziness of the beginning of the school year, I just haven't gotten around to sending out a Google Form with the dates to see which ones worked best for everyone! Expect it in your email this week (hopefully).
If you haven't already noticed, I have also figured out how to upload PDF's to my site, so if you go to the Homework tab, you will be able to find all the Choice Boards from the year so far! I sent this week's home a day early, and it is still due next Thursday October 26th.
Other announcements for this week:
- The Halloween Carnival is next Friday, October 27th. Our class will be going from 2-2:30. Please remember to have your student bring their costume to school to change into before the carnival.
- The Pumpkin Decorating contest starts next week. Please bring your decorated pumpkin (not carved) to school on Monday and leave it at the office. Students will be able to vote on the most well-decorated pumpkin by bringing in coins and placing them in jars next to the decorated pumpkins. The money collected will be donated to our school's Holt child.
- Our class is voting tomorrow on who our candidate is going to be for Oregon's Kid Governor! Next week, we will be making a Campaign video to be submitted to the Oregon Secretary of State's office to be considered as a candidate in the general election. Hopefully, I will be able to upload the campaign video to my website!
- So far, our class has raised $117 for the Feed My Starving Children fundraiser! Great job turning in those bottles and cans!
Blessings, and have a great weekend!
Week of October 9, 2017
Hi Room 13 families! I have decided to update my website a little bit and add a weekly class update to keep everyone informed as to what is happening in our class! I will try to update on Thursdays to correspond with the weekly Thursday folders.
Just a few announcements:
- Wednesday October 11 at 2:15 will be the staff versus the volleyball team game!
- Thursday October 12 is a "Wear Blue and Gold" free dress day in support of the volleyball team and the cross country teams, on which we have 3 students from our class! Go Falcons!
- No School Friday October 13 or Monday October 16 for Staff Development
- Parent Teacher conferences are coming up soon! Please remember to sign up for a time online to meet.
- Fall Fundraiser packets went home on Tuesday October 10th. It is one packet per family. They must be returned by Friday October 20th.
- Our Feed My Starving Children fundraiser is still happening! We have raised $62.95 so far! Keep bringing in that money from your bottles and cans to earn our class a pizza party!
- I still haven't quite figured out how to upload PDFs to my Google Site, but as soon as I do, I will be posting weekly choice boards under the homework tab!
Blessings, and have a great 4 day weekend!