St. Cadoc’s School was opened on 1st September 1958.
St. Cadoc’s has a long tradition of education, life and faith growing together, with the support of parents, friends, staff and the community.
Originally designed as two separate schools, St. Cadoc’s Catholic Primary School is pleasantly situated in well-maintained grounds surrounding the whole school including large playing field at the back, a large well equipped area for outside learning to the front of the school and two hard surfaced yards. The school serves the areas of Llanrumney, Rumney and St. Mellons.
As soon as the school was opened in 1958, as separate Infant and Junior schools, it was necessary to enlarge it; so two extra classrooms were built on the end of what now is the K.S. 2 corridor and ‘huts’ were erected on the field.
The building may still be the same footprint but it is vastly different; the huts are gone, the Infants and Junior buildings are connected through the main hall making St. Cadoc’s a Primary School catering for children between 3 and 11 years of age. The legacy of the 1958 build gives the school space for children to learn and grow within the ethos of a Catholic School. There are two main teaching blocks leading from the Administration area, K.S. 2 (7–11 years) and Foundation including, from January 2012, Nursery provision (3– 7 years). A new purpose built Flying Start Childcare Centre is located at the front of our school and is well used by the community.
There is a main hall and a separate hall for school lunches, many exciting and engaging classrooms and a well appointed library. Throughout the school attractive, well presented displays can be found that enhance the environment, reinforce learning, and celebrate achievement.
The School has strong links with the Parish Church of St. Cadoc’s and the wider community. St. Cadoc’s children attend St. Illtyd’s High School after they have completed Year 6.