Year 5/6 BFG Class
Welcome to BFG Class.
Here's what the children had to say about us...(and we didn't pay them a penny!)
Mr Riggs - Class Teacher
"Mr Riggs is one of the best teachers in the school. He tries hard to make our learning fun because Mr Riggs believes if learning is fun, you can achieve more and want to do more. Mr Riggs is very fair and he makes sure that everyone has had a go, especially in P.E. so that you have the opportunity to do everything. He is very caring and kind, caring for everyone and by making everything very, very fair". Jonny
Mrs Jackson - HLTA
"Mrs Jackson is a kind and helpful HLTA. She is always looking to help other people. Mrs Jackson is willing and hard-working and always happy to come to school and be the best that she can be. Mrs Jackson is lovely and my favourite TA to work with". Tia
Mrs Chisholm -1:1 TA (Monday and Thursday)
"Mrs Chisholm is kind and caring, she works hard and also runs a peaceful colouring club, which I happen to go to. She is jolly, pretty and very respectful. I like Mrs Chisholm, although she leaves at noon, she always tries her best". Kara
A very warm welcome to BFG Class. We are a mixed class of Year 5 and Year 6 children. We are very much looking forward to a busy year full of fun, friends and lots of learning.
If at any time, you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to come and speak to us.
Spring Term 3
Our topic this term is: Britain at War
This is what we will be learning about this term:
In our D.T lessons we will be learning to:
· Consider the design of 'Anderson Shelters' thinking about their purpose and effectiveness.
· Attempt to build our own model shelters, focusing on the purpose and audience.
In our Science lessons we will be learning to:
· Analyse the impact of a bomb blasts, considering the effect on the surrounding environment.
· Investigate the effectiveness of military equipment including tanks and aircraft.
In our Art lessons we will be:
· Looking at War Time art work and how this period of time is portrayed in various art forms.
In our History lessons we will be:
· Discussing the impact of the Blitz.
· Considering what life would have been like for those children that were evacuated.
· Analysing the reason as to why WW2 started.
In our P.E. lessons we will be:
· Working with specialist coaches , learning how to fence.
· Developing our throwing and catching skills outside.
In our R.E. sessions we will be:
· Focusing on Hinduism; considering special occasions and Hindu Gods.
· Taking part in collective worship.
Our topics this term will include:
- Non-Chronological Reports
- Explanation Texts
We encourage the children to try and explore these texts in their general reading as much as possible. This term, we have provided each child with our daily read 'Goodnight Mr. Tom' which links into our class topic based upon WW2. We ask the children to spend some time at home reading up to a given page, which they will be expected to evidence the following week in class.
In our Maths learning this term we will be looking at:
The children are tested each week on a specific times table. Please spend some time with your child practising these at home where possible.
Active Learn Maths If you are unsure of your login, please speak to your teacher.
Prodigy Maths The children have been given a login to use this resource at home.
BBC Bitesize KS2 page Revision materials
P.E. Kits must be in school at all times please.
All items should be named. Our scheduled P.E. sessions are currently on a Monday and Friday.
Weekly homework consists of an English and Maths activity, building upon the learning we have completed in class that week. Spellings are sent home for the children to learn, which are then tested on a Friday. We use the process of - Look - Cover - Write - Check.
Homework is set on a Friday and due in the following Wednesday.