The teaching of systematic, synthetic phonics for reading and writing
At Quethiock CofE School our pupils learn to read and write effectively and quickly using the Giant Phonics programme.
The programme is for:
- Pupils in EYFS to Year 2 who are learning to read and write.
- Any pupils in Years 3 and 4 who need to catch up rapidly.
- In Giant Phonics pupils:
- Decode letter-sound correspondences quickly and effortlessly, using their phonic knowledge and skills
- Read common exception words on sight
- Understand what they read
- Read aloud with fluency and expression
- Spell quickly and easily by segmenting the sounds in words