Worker's Compensation Guidance

  • Notify supervisor of work-related injury/illness immediately upon injury.
  • If treatment is required but not urgent, employee must seek treatment at a designated provider chosen from the Designated Provider Letter they are given at the time of the First Report of Injury. If emergency medical treatment is needed, medical treatment should be sought at the nearest facility. Once released by the emergency facility, the employee will need to follow up with one of the designated providers.
  • Submit a written statement of incident to supervisor as soon as possible.
  • Document mileage to and from medical treatments. Travel expenses should be sent via FAX to Broadspire at 859-550-2731 (Broadspire will provide the travel expense document).