North Stanly Middle School
Mr. Herlocker & Mr. Cranford
NORTH STANLY MIDDLE SCHOOL
WELCOME TO HEALTH and PHYSICAL EDUCATION!
Our goal is that all students understand and enjoy the benefits of leading a healthy, active lifestyle. We adhere to North Carolina's Objectives for 6-8 grade students.
We expect our students to participate to the BEST of THEIR ability.
We enjoy communicating! Please contact us at NSMS 704 961-3700, or by email:
- To be announced: (6th gr Health, 7&8 PE) ext.# 3769
- Wes.Herlocker@stanlycountyschools.org (7th gr Health 6&8 PE) ext. # 3763
- Chris.Cranford@stanlycountyschools.org (8th gr Health, 6&7 PE) ext.# 3763
DISCIPLINE - If students fail to follow directions:
- 1st offense-teacher conference.
- 2nd offense-removal from the activity and another teacher conference.
- 3rd offense-3rd and final teacher conference which could result in an office referral for insubordination” as well as,a parent contact.
EXCEPTION: being unsafe, disrespectful, or insubordinate behavior will be addressed immediately.
Procedures - To insure security and safety for all students:
- Be prepared for class, bring any and all materials required by teacher.
- Tardy to class without a note from a staff member -points deducted from Participation grade. Students will not be allowed to go back to the teacher for a note or to get shoes from a locker or classroom.
- Self-discipline, positive attitude, and appropriate participation are best for success.
1) Participation is based on:
- Following directions
- Working cooperatively with others
2) Health Journal is based on:
- Addressing the written prompts and completing assignments. The student will be required to write 5 or more sentences for each Journal Entry.
3) Tests are 20 questions and multiple choice.
Physical Education Class
Procedures - To insure the security and safety for all students during classes:
- Students need to be prepared for class, bring any and all materials required by teacher.
- Athletic shoes must be laced and tied on the outside of the shoe tongue to avoid injuries. (no Topsiders, slides, boots or Keds without laces).
- Students need be on time. Tardy to class without a note from a staff member will be deduction of points from Warm-up grade. Students will not be allowed to go back to the teacher for a note or to get shoes from a locker or classroom.
- Students are to be in class unless; arrangements were made a day prior from a requesting teacher or summoned by the main office/administration.
- Self-control, positive attitude and good sportsmanship is expected.
- Students are NOT REQUIRED to dress out for PE. The school dress code will be enforced.
- Girls can NOT secure shirts with elastic bands
- Low-cut tops are not appropriate for PE. Shooter shirts are provided if needed.
- Boys need a belt for loose or sagging pants.
- A student excused from participating in PE must have a parent note with explanation, date, parent signature and a phone number or e-mail address for verification purposes.Students who are excused for orthopedic injuries to their lower extremities will be allowed to sit and will be given alternate activities. All others will be given alternate activities which may include walking.
- Students excused for more than (3) days must have a DOCTOR’S NOTE or points will be deducted.
- Fitness tests; (Push-ups, Curl-ups, and PACER) have been updated and are based on performance by grade level. NEW requirements are posted on our teacher webpages and in the gym.
2 Points will be deducted from WARM-UP for the following:
- Lack of effort or not following the assigned warm-up for an extended amount of time.
- Excessive time for restroom, water fountain, or while changing shoes.
- Not completing assigned warm-up or distracting other students from completing the warm-up.
- Tardy to class without a note from a staff member.
- Being in unassigned areas.
2 Points will be deducted from PARTICIPATION grade for each offense:
- Students who lack effort during activities after the warm-up.
- If students borrow shoes more than twice each quarter, 2 points will be deducted each time thereafter.
- Insubordination could result in up to an 8 point deduction and possible office referral.
We look forward to working with your child! If you have questions please let us know!
Chris Cranford or Wes Herlocker