Volume 8, 9/30-10/4, 2019
Families are Welcome:
We need volunteers for:
- PTA volunteers to assist with concession stand for volleyball and basketball.
- perimeter checks (9:00 - 10:00 AM)
- copy volunteers (your schedule). We have two parents that have volunteered already. We could use a few more.
- lunch monitors and mentors (11:30 - 1:30 in 3 different time slots). We could use some volunteers here.
- tutors (you don't have to be a teacher to be a tutor... listening and guiding is enough). We need people to just listen to students read or read to them.
- mentors of all kinds
What is going on in the Dragon Nation this week:
Farmer Pride- Homecoming Week.
Word of the Week is Integrity: Honesty, to adhere to a strong code of ethics.
Also if your child brought home a permission form for the Fundraiser Limo Ride please make sure to bring it back Monday.
Monday, Sept. 30th - HOCO Theme: Sleeping Beauty – Wear PJ’s/Jeans
Durham Daily Challenge: Complete an IR book and get a free book from our book vending machine. Click on the link to fill out the google form. https://forms.gle/vUgzAAyWz8vyfpEW8
5:30 7th Volleyball Games @ Durham vs. Shadowridge.
5:30 7th Football A & B Teams vs Killian @ Harmon
C Team vs Briarhill @ Harmon
Tuesday, Oct. 1st - PRIDE Day!- Also Kindness Convocation at LHS-
We are so proud to have 25 of our students to represent Durham Middle School at Kindness Convocation at LHS. Next week (10/7-10/11) will be Kindness Week at Durham Middle School.
PRIDE DAY:HOCO Theme: Monster University Day – Wear your College Gear/Jeans
PRIDE DAY: Partner Up Against The Killian Mustangs
Dress as a Twin OR
HOCO Theme: Tweedledee & Tweedledum – Dress as a Twin/Jeans
Limo Lunches for the students who won Limo Lunches and Cici's pizza.
Fundraiser delivery from 2:45-4:10
5:30 8th Football A & B Teams vs Killian @ Harmon/Hall
*Cheerleaders @ Game/Hall
C Team vs Briarhill @ Harmon
Wednesday, Oct. 2nd- PRIDE DAY:HOCO Theme: Monster University Day – Wear your College Gear/Jeans
Durham Daily Challenge: Kindness matters.
Thursday, Oct. 3rd- .HOCO Theme: Star Wars Day – Star Wars/Alien Attire/JeansDurham
5:30 8th Volleyball @ Shadow Ridge
Friday, Oct. 4th- Hispanic Heritage Night- Big Event 6:00 pm-8:00 pm. HOCO Theme: Lion King – Wear Animal Print/Jeans
Durham Daily Challenge: Come out to support Hispanic Heritage Night.
Hispanic Heritage Night- Come help celebrate Hispanic Culture with us. Contact the counselors to sign up to help. We need parents to help with planning, decorating, food and more.
Important Upcoming Events and Information:
COFFEE TALKS with Mr. Holt
- Wednesday, Oct. 9th- Morning session 7:30 a.m.-8:00 a.m. Evening Session 6:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m. Please come have a cup of coffee and let's set down and talk. We would love to see you come out and participate. We are up to 24 people. Our goal is 50. Click on the link to RSVP: https://forms.gle/bcpP4KR79qHsSyEo8
- Starting the week of September 23rd we will have late buses available. Monday-Thursday buses will depart at 5:30. Friday bus will depart at 6:30 due to Friday Night Lights. After school meals are also provided. Students must sign up if they would like a meal.
- Link to free and reduced lunch application: http://www.schoollunchapp.com/ Please fill out this form. An application has to be filled out every year.
Below is a link to the LISD learning hub, an incredible resource with links to Canvas, Skyward and Istation. It is important that you expect your child to read at least 30 minutes every day. You should have them read to you as well as reading to them to present new vocabulary and word structures.
https://lhub.lisd.net/SitePages/Home.aspx - students will need to use their LISD username and password. You can explore this link together. Please remember to have students create a pairing code so that you may have access to their Canvas account. Here is a link to create pairing code. https://www.lisd.net/cms/lib/TX01918037/Centricity/Domain/4970/Creating%20a%20pairing%20code%20for%20parents.pdf
Red Ribbon Campaign begins on October 1st and will run all month long. Each Wednesday the students will receive lessons covering specific topics. Parent flyers were emailed out on Friday, September 27th that contain more details.
Love and Logic classes will begin next week. Please click here to learn more and sign up.
The Family Center has begin their sessions. Sessions are short term, six sessions and free to any LISD student and their families. Please click here for more information.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for any questions or help that you may need.
- Mrs. Jones 6th and 8th L-Z email@example.com 972.350.1612
- Ms. Sims 7th and 8th A-K firstname.lastname@example.org 972.350.1611
Hispanic Heritage Night - Friday, October 4th (please use link to sign up https://tinyurl.com/DragonsHHN)
World Day of Bullying Prevention - Monday, October 7th
Meet and Treat (New Students Social) - Thursday, October 31st
- If you are interested in helping with the event, please contact us.
Veteran's Day Assembly - Monday, November 11th
- Looking for Veteran's Day speaker. Please contact us if you are interested!