Volume 5, 9/9-9/13, 2019
Families are Welcome:
We need volunteers for:
- perimeter checks (9:00 - 10:00 AM)
- copy volunteers (your schedule). We have two parents that have volunteered already. We could use a few more.
- lunch monitors and mentors (11:30 - 1:30 in 3 different time slots). We could use some volunteers here.
- tutors (you don't have to be a teacher to be a tutor... listening and guiding is enough)
- mentors of all kinds
What is going on in the Dragon Nation this week:
We ask that students bring their iPad with them everyday.
The planner should be filled out each day.
School Fundraiser is going on. Please encourage your child to help support our school.
Monday, Sept. 9th -
Durham Daily Challenge: Meet someone new and tell them the most exciting thing you learned last week.
5:30 7th Volleyball Games @ Griffin
5:30 7th Football A & B Teams vs Downing @ MHS
C Team vs DeLay @ LHS
Tuesday, Sept. 10th - PRIDE Day-
Outrun the Downing Diamondbacks-Wear School Appropriate Workout Clothes
Durham Daily Challenge: Show your school spirit. Wear Workout clothes.
5:30 8th Football A & B Teams vs Downing @ MHS*Cheerleaders@Game
C Team vs DeLay @ LHS
Wednesday, Sept. 11th- Wear your favorite college shirt.
Durham Daily Challenge: Participate in college shirt day. Support your favorite college. What is your plan for after High School?
Thursday, Sept. 12th- Dress for Success.
Durham Daily Challenge: Dress as if you were going to a job interview. What career are you interested in pursuing?
5:30 8th Volleyball Griffin @ DMS
Friday, Sept. 13th- School spirit day- Wear maroon and white.
Durham Daily Challenge: Tell a learning leader(teacher, Administrator, or staff member) the coolest thing you learned this week.
Important Upcoming Events and Information:
COFFEE TALKS with Mr. Holt
- Wednesday, Oct. 9th- Morning session 7:30 a.m.-8:00 a.m. Evening Session 6:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m. Please come have a cup of coffee and let's set down and talk.
- Please pull forward when dropping off or picking up your student. Most people were through the lines by 4:25 in the afternoon. By pulling forward, you will help us move the line faster and more efficiently. Buses have been running much smoother. Please contact us if there is an issue with a bus or call First Student at (469) 340-0296.
- September 17th-19th- Students will be taking an Istation assessment in English Class.
- Link to free and reduced lunch application: http://www.schoollunchapp.com/ Please fill out this form. An application has to be filled out every year.
Students learning about the foundations of the U.S. political philosophy in U.S. History.
Below is a link to the LISD learning hub, an incredible resource with links to Canvas, Skyward and Istation. It is important that you expect your child to read at least 30 minutes everyday. You should have them read to you as well as reading to them to present new vocabulary and word structures.
https://lhub.lisd.net/SitePages/Home.aspx - students will need to use their LISD username and password. You can explore this link together. Please remember to have students create a pairing code so that you may have access to their Canvas account. Here is a link to create pairing code. https://www.lisd.net/cms/lib/TX01918037/Centricity/Domain/4970/Creating%20a%20pairing%20code%20for%20parents.pdf
All students received their progress reports on Friday, September 6th. Please talk to your students about their grades and check skyward frequently to ensure your student is passing.
The Family Center will begin sessions the week of September 9th. Sessions are short term, six sessions and free to any LISD student and their families. Please click here for more information.
Love and Logic classes will begin soon. Please click here to learn more and sign up.
September is National Suicide Prevention Month. This week students will receive the Fall Suicide Prevention Lessons. Please click here for the Parent Overview and Opt Out Letter. For more information on suicide warning signs/risk factors and ways to help please click here.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for any questions or help that you may need.
- Mrs. Jones 6th and 8th L-Z firstname.lastname@example.org 972.350.1612
- Ms. Sims 7th and 8th A-K email@example.com 972.350.1611
Suicide Prevention Day - Tuesday, September 10th
Hispanic Heritage Night - Friday, October 4th (please use link to sign up https://tinyurl.com/DragonsHHN)
World Day of Bullying Prevention - Monday, October 7th
Meet and Treat (New Students Social) - Thursday, October 31st
- If you are interested in helping with the event, please contact us.
Veteran's Day Assembly - Monday, November 11th
- Looking for Veteran's Day speaker. Please contact us if you are interested!