Volume 9, 10/15-10/18, 2019
Families are Welcome:
We need volunteers for:
- PTA volunteers to assist with concession stand for volleyball and basketball.
- perimeter checks (9:00 - 10:00 AM)
- copy volunteers (your schedule). We have two parents that have volunteered already. We could use a few more.
- lunch monitors and mentors (11:30 - 1:30 in 3 different time slots). We could use some volunteers here.
- tutors (you don't have to be a teacher to be a tutor... listening and guiding is enough). We need people to just listen to students read or read to them. This can be during classes and before or after school.
- mentors of all kinds
What is going on in the Dragon Nation this week:
All students need to bring their district issued Ipad with them fully charged to school each day.
A great week of Kindness last week. Thank you to all of our students that participated in Kindness week. We want to make kindness a normal part of everyday life at Durham Middle School.
Thank you to all of the parents that attended Coffee talks. We appreciate your input.
Thursday, Oct. 17th- Pep Rally Schedule-
8th grade Volleyball @ LHS vs. Huffines
Friday, Oct. 18th-
1st nine week reports cards go out on this day.
Choir Concert: 6:30-8:00 in Cafeteria
Important Upcoming Events and Information:
- Coming up on Wednesday, October 23rd all 8th grade students will be taking the PSAT. Here is a Link to PSAT tutoring and practice tests: https://www.princetonreview.com/college/psat-test-dates . Please have your students go to this website and you may want to sit down with them. I strongly encourage you to have your student do this. This test is used to help identify National Merit Scholars. Students may have the potential to earn college scholarships as a result of this test.
Below is a link to the LISD learning hub, an incredible resource with links to Canvas, Skyward and Istation. It is important that you expect your child to read at least 30 minutes every day. You should have them read to you as well as reading to them to present new vocabulary and word structures.
https://lhub.lisd.net/SitePages/Home.aspx - students will need to use their LISD username and password. You can explore this link together. Please remember to have students create a pairing code so that you may have access to their Canvas account. Here is a link to create pairing code. https://www.lisd.net/cms/lib/TX01918037/Centricity/Domain/4970/Creating%20a%20pairing%20code%20for%20parents.pdf
Parents please click here for the TBRI flyer. This is a parenting workshop that will take place on Thursday, October 17th and Thursday, October 24th.
Red Ribbon Campaign begins on October 1st and will run all month long. Each Wednesday the students will receive lessons covering specific topics. Parent flyers were emailed out on Friday, September 27th that contain more details.
CHOICES 360 is a program for all students in grades 6-12 to support them in college, career and military exploration. CHOICES 360 has many fantastic features for students and families including a variety of interest inventories, a portfolio option, college and career activities as well as tons of resources for financial aid, scholarships and test prep. Please click here for the parent letter with useful information. The parent letter is also available in Spanish, please click here.
The Family Center has begin their sessions. Sessions are short term, six sessions and free to any LISD student and their families. Please click here for more information.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for any questions or help that you may need.
- Mrs. Jones 6th and 8th L-Z email@example.com 972.350.1612
- Ms. Sims 7th and 8th A-K firstname.lastname@example.org 972.350.1611
College Prep Workshop - Saturday, October 19th (please click here for the flyer)
Meet and Treat (New Students Social) - Thursday, October 31st
- If you are interested in helping with the event, please contact us.
Veteran's Day Assembly - Monday, November 11th
- Looking for Veteran's Day speaker. Please contact us if you are interested!