Mrs. Knavel's Web Site
Welcome to my Web site! My name is Mrs. Alexis Knavel and I am the Technology Teacher here at Saints Peter and Paul, A Catholic Community School. I am married with four children. I teach Pre-K 4 through 8th grade.
I have Pre-K 4 through 5th grade one day a week. I have 6th through 8th grades two days a week.
Here is a list of the topics we learn about in Computer class:
Younger grades (Pre-K 4 to 2nd)
- Using www.abcya.com
- Using the Paint program
- Using www.abcmouse.com with grades Pre-K through 1st
- Practicing how to use the keyboard, especially the home row keys
- Kindergarten is introduced to Microsoft Word and uses the tools to learn typing skills
- Kindergarten starts learning coding skills with www.code.org in the spring
- 1st grade continues the skills they started in Kindergarten with coding by using www.code.org, which helps to build the foundation for being able to program a Dash robot
- 2nd grade is introduced to PowerPoint and its tools
We are a Google school. Starting in 3rd grade, students all receive a Google account and begin learning the tools associated with Google.
Older grades (3rd to 8th)
- Using Moby Max for Math, ELA, and Science
- 3rd graders are introduced to Google Docs, Google Slides, and Google Classroom
- Using Google Docs – practicing keyboarding skills and being able to use the tools associated with the program
- Using Google Slides – expanding on their knowledge and adding new tools each year
- Using Google Sheets to create spreadsheets
- How to use search engines properly
- How to do research in order to organize and write a research paper
- How to use the Internet safely
- Learning proper vocabulary terms for computer usage
- Learning about the hardware and software systems that operate the computer
- Practicing how to use the keyboard, especially the home row keys using www.typing.com
- Learning how to code for Web sites (grades 6-8) www.code.org, www.cs-first.com, and www.scratch.mit.edu
We follow the Technology Curriculum for the Diocese of Buffalo.
For more information on what this curriculum is comprised of, please visit their Web site: