Culturally Responsive Pedagogy (CRP)
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
What resources can I find here?
Acceptance and Empathy Resources for Educators (Emerson Collective)
A collection of readings and tools that are intended to help educators foster acceptance and empathy into their classrooms.
A couple of highlights:
- "Let's Talk! Discussing Race, Racism, and Other Difficult Topics with Students" from Teaching Tolerance
- Creating a Welcoming Classroom for English Language Learner (ELL) and Immigrant Students from Colorín Colorado.
The Racial Equity Imperative: The Role of the Nonprofit Sector (Race Forward)
Race Forward believes five areas are necessary to make meaningful change: narrative shift, institutional and sector-level transformation, community-led research, policy development, and movement building. Julie Nelson of Race Forward encouraged the Network to normalize, operationalize, organize, and visualize racial equity. How?
- Normalize: Develop shared understanding of what structural racism is, what its effects are, and why it exists.
- Operationalize: Use methodologies to ensure decision-making promotes racial equity.
- Organize: Have internal infrastructure and partnerships, because no individual organization will dismantle racism alone.
- Visualize: What would a racially equitable NYC look like?
Six Activities for Students to Investigate School Segregation and Educational Inequality (The New York Times)
These teaching activities, written directly to students, use recent Times articles as a way to grapple with segregation and educational inequality in the present. This resource considers three essential questions:
• How and why are schools still segregated in 2019?
• What repercussions do segregated schools have for students and society?
• What are potential remedies to address school segregation?
Social Emotional Learning and Equity (National Equity Project)
This resource several pitfalls and recommendations for educators seeking to implement SEL to make progress on equity and inclusion.
SEL As a Lever for Equity (CASEL)
These resources examines how CASEL’s core SEL competencies reflect issues of equity, including programs and practices that support the development of the competencies to promote educational equity.