Welcome to our classroom! I am very excited to be part of the team at Stewartville Middle School. I joined Stewartville Middle School 13 years ago as a reading teacher.
I am originally from Michigan and am a HUGE Michigan State Spartan fan. I met my husband at MSU and we have one daughter, Kelsey, who is a senior at North Dakota State University. We enjoy traveling, especially to national parks and Michigan.
We will be spending time expressing ourselves through writing and speaking. We will also be reading many different types of texts. We will be exploring short stories, poetry, fiction and non-fiction. Research has shown that the best way to become a better reader and writer is to read and write so plan on doing just that - READING and WRITING!! I believe everyone student is a reader, some just haven't found the right book yet.
6th Grade English/Language Arts
Contact Information: Phone 507.944.0503
Best times to reach me: 7:15 - 7:35 AM or after 3:00 PM
The best way to contact me is through email. I check my email frequently and will respond as quickly as time allows.
English 6 Objectives:
- Explore a variety of genres.
- Improve reading comprehension.
- Explore and analyze writer's effect.
- Use grammar and punctuation correctly.
- Incorporate a variety of sentence structures.
- Plan, create, and publish literature in a variety of styles.
Speaking and Listening
- Listen quietly when others are speaking.
- Think about what is said.
- Respond appropriately.
- Wait your turn to talk.
- Speak respectfully at all times.
Information and Digital Literacy
- Correctly use and cite information.
- Differentiate between good and bad sources.
- Synthesize and create literature using new media.
My Daily Schedule:
- Hour 1 English 6 (7:50-8:37)
- Hour 2 English 6 (8:41-9:28)
- Hour 3 English 6 (9:32-10:19)
- Hour 4 Lunch/Pride
(A Lunch 10:20-11:20/Pride 10:52-11:22)
- Hour 5 English 6 (11:26-12:16)
- Hour 6 English 6 (12:20-1:09)
- Hour 7 English 6 (1:13-2:02)
- Hour 8 English Prep (2:06-2:55)
Required Materials - MUST bring each day to class:
- Student Planner
- Personal Reading Book
- Positive Attitude
- We will treat our peers, teachers, our classroom, and ourselves with respect
- We will try our best.
- We will work hard.
- We will use kind words
- We will learn from our mistakes.
- We will be seated and ready for class when the bell rings.
- We will complete our work on time.
- We will celebrate our successes.
- We will encourage one another to be creative.
Schoolwork and Homework:
- Students are encouraged to read regularly. We will set individual quarterly goals.
- Students will do their own work.
- Students are expected to complete unfinished classwork before the next class period, unless otherwise assigned.
- Writing final drafts for publishing will be typed using Google Documents. Font size must be 12 point, double spaced, black, and New Times Roman font.
- All work must have students name on it or it will not be graded.
- Work must be turned in on time.
- Late work is accepted up until the summative assessments.
- Refer to the student handbook for a more detailed explanation of the homework policy.
Stewartville Public Schools website: https://www.ssd.k12.mn.us/
SMS Student Handbook: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LBsjeyXnkpJuxy3DgbFN4-M5Q-W-i0pgGo0WP96-jvM/edit
Citation Machine: http://citationmachine.net
Bib Me: http://bibme.org
Books for Boys: http://www.booksforboys.com/
Reading Rants: http://www.readingrants.org/
Good Reads: https://www.goodreads.com/
last updated August 13, 2018
Hiking Acadia National Park 2018