I will be your child's Art teacher through this exciting time in his/her educational career. I taught Art to students in Kindergarten through grade 5 for 13 years at Colden Elementary School before coming to the Middle School four years ago. As the Middle School Art Educator I developed an Art curriculum that bridges the teaching and learning that occurs at the Elementary level with that which takes place in the High School Visual Arts program. I myself am an S-GI alumni, having attended Colden Elementary, as well as the Middle and High Schools. I am grateful to have a career where I get to do what I love and love what I do!
Springville Middle School
267 Newman St.
Springville, New York 14141
To provide the students of our District with an Art program that:
- interweaves Art appreciation, Art history, Art criticism, and Art production.
- meets the New York State Learning Standards and Common Core Curriculum.
- sequences knowledge and skill in an age-appropriate manner.
- creates a learning environment that fosters Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Creativity and Community.
- offers choice so teachers and students can be creative and innovative.
The young artists in the S-GI Art program will be exposed to a variety of artists and artwork from different cultures and time periods. They will make observations, question ideas, compare and contrast artists and artwork, and share thoughts and ideas about what they see and learn. They will dig deeper into the Elements and Principles of Art, which will foster in-depth discussion and more thoughtful creation of their artwork. The students will work with a variety of mediums and produce artwork that develops their knowledge and appreciation of art while exploring those new art materials and techniques. All units, concepts, and lessons incorporate other core subject areas and are designed to build on the previous year’s Art experience, as well as bridge the learning experiences that occur from the Elementary to the High School levels.