Great apps for your computer or device!
Please feel free to share apps that you enjoy with Mrs. Curtis.
Music Apps for Desktop or Laptop Computer
- GarageBand - free with Mac Computers
- Record yourself.
- Create with loops of pre-recorded instruments.
- Audacity - free for both PC and Mac users.
- Similar to GarageBand
- Finale NotePad– free
- Compose your own music.
- SmartMusic- $40 a year subscription
- Library of thousands of songs that you can play along with.
Music Apps for iPad (many work with iPhone as well)
- NotateMe Now – free - With fingertip or stylus, write in notes, which are then placed on printed staff above. Can compose for one instrument at a time.
- NotateMe - $39.99 - With fingertip or stylus, write in notes, which are then placed on printed staff above. Can include multiple instruments.
- GarageBand– Included with newer iPads.
- Record yourself.
- Create with loops of prerecorded instruments.
- My Note Games - free
- Name That Note – free
- StaffWars - $.99 - Can choose line/space notes to review.
- Flashnote Derby - $2.99 - Can choose specific notes to review.
- Rhythm Lab - $2.99 - There is also a percussion section, focusing on sticking patterns played at certain tempos.
- Rhythm Cat - free - Tap rhythm patterns of whole/half/quarter notes & rests.
- Finger Bells - free
- Virtuoso Piano - free
- Piano HD - free
- Pocket Drums - $.99 (free version with ads)
- Conga Drums - $.99 (free version with ads)
Intonation / Metronomes
- Pitch Perfect Visual Tuner - $1.99 – Shows the note you are playing on a staff, and whether or not it is in tune. Scroll down below for additional information.
- Cleartune - $3.99 - tuner
- Metronome – free – Keep steady beat with old fashioned metronome.
- Pro Metronome – free – Keep steady beat, choosing accented beats.
- Tempo Slow – free – metronome
- SmartMusic (Included with SmartMusic subscription)
- forScore - $6.99 - Upload pdf’s of music to view on iPad.
- Finale SongBook – free – Upload music created with Finale.
- History of Jazz - $9.99 - Cool interactive time-line of Jazz, with photos and recordings
- Beethoven's 9th Symphony - $13.99 (free version has some limited interaction)
- Classical Lite - free – Old-time record player with classical music
Some of our experiences at HMS
SmartMusic A wonderful tool in both reading music and practicing is SmartMusic. This interactive on-line music database provides our students to opportunity to learn notation at their own pace, provide instant feed back, as well as create their own mp3's. We have an Educator subscription for our band program at school. Student subscriptions are available for at-home practice. To learn more about the benefits of SmartMusic, visit their site through this link.
Pitch Perfect Visual Tuner
Tuner App Our woodwind and brass lessons were introduced to our newest notes with the iPad/iPhone App "Pitch Perfect Visual Tuner". This app helped our musicians to visually see their note, and helped them to play it more accurately. I highly recommend this app for at-home practice sessions. Place a mirror on your stand next to your iPad or iPhone to check the embouchure (mouth position). Colin is demonstrating a great embouchure in the photo above. Elizabeth demonstrates how "Hot Cross Buns" appears on the app below.