Instruments available in fourth grade
- Flute, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Trumpet, Baritone Horn, Trombone, and Percussion Combo Kit
- Auditions in January/February for Bass Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone, French Horn, and Baritone Horn.
- Students who already play Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, and Trumpet may audition for these instruments.
Instruments available in fifth grade
- Same instruments as fourth grade, with inclusion of the Oboe and Baritone Saxophone. Please review the Sparta Music Department's educational goals listed below.
The Sparta Music Department's educational goals includes the opportunity for musicians to perform in a balanced ensemble.
- Therefore, instruments that are not available as a new student or switch in fifth grade include saxophone and percussion. Availability of other instruments are dependent on established band enrollment.
- Students who plan to begin a new instrument or to switch to a new instrument in fifth grade are encouraged to take summer lessons to "catch up" on material covered in fourth grade.
- If students are unable to take summer lessons, they will begin with the current fourth grade band, and switch over to the fifth grade band when both the student and Mrs. Curtis feel that they are prepared enough to do so.
- Once the school year has started, students may not switch instruments, unless in specialized cases (ie. difficulty in sound production), to be determined by Mrs. Curtis and approved by the parent.
Lesson and Band Schedule
- Small group instruction is provided once a week, to teach specific instrument technique.
- Lessons meet on a rotating basis, so as not to miss the same class each week.
- Schedules are distributed to the students, parents, and are posted on this website.
- Large group instruction is provided once a week, to teach ensemble technique.
- Band meets at the same time each week during a special rehearsal period.
- Students are to provide instrument, lesson books, and other items necessary for their instrument (ie. music stand, reeds, valve oil). The complete list is attached at the bottom of this page.
- Lesson and Band attendance
- Practice sessions at home to review material covered in class
- Appropriate conduct in Lessons and Band
- Participation in the Band concerts
- 2018-2019 Dates - December and April
- Concerts take place at Sparta High School, 7:00 p.m.
- Visit our website throughout the month for updates to our Band program.
- Information is also emailed home on an as-needed basis.
- Please feel free to contact Mrs. Curtis with any questions at Pat.Curtis@sparta.org.
- Instagram @HelenMorganBand
- Remind Gr 4 or Gr 5.