Mrs.Salvatierra's Kindergarten Class!
It seems our weather has bypassed fall and is heading straight to winter. Even though it is getting cold outside, our classroom is on the warm side. What seems to work best is to wear the SMS t-shirt and sweatpants while in school. Just leave the SMS sweatshirt in the backpack ( for those times when it is chilly in the classroom/school). Then just wear a regular jacket/coat for outside playtime. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR STUDENT'S NAME IS WRITTEN ON ALL ARTICLES OF CLOTHING.
Our bible verse this month is "Serve the Lord with gladness!" Psalm 100:2
- This month our school outreach project will be collecting canned/boxed food items through Friday.
- We will be sharing our "turkey projects" this week. We will share a few projects each day. So send the project to school this week Monday until Thursday. It will be our show and tell for this week.
- Tuesday, November 13th is "color your world with kindness day". Students may add colorful accessories onto their uniforms. We will also have a brief prayer service and presentation in the gym that morning.
- Friday, November 16th is our school liturgy this week for Thanksgiving and the feast day of St. Margaret of Scotland.
- Our prayer partners invited us to a "Thanksgiving feast" at 11:30 on Friday 11/16. It is during our lunch and the students will have the opportunity to eat all the Thanksgiving trimmings (turkey, corn, mash potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and PIE). You do not need to send a lunch that day but you may want to send something to eat in case your student does not like some of the Thanksgiving trimmings. Please still send a snack for the morning.
- Please remember to send the rest towel back to school on Monday.
- Please continue to send a small separate snack for morning snack in addition to lunch. (It can be kept in the lunch box or the backpack.) The dish or tea towels are very helpful at lunch also for spills as well as a "place mat". Water bottles can be brought to school daily. Even on hot lunch days, please send a small snack for morning and a small towel for lunch.
- We will continue practicing words and letters. Please make a flash card for each letter and each word so that you can practice these letters/sounds and words at home regularly. Our next set of letters will be : "i, c, d, g". We will focus on the letter/sound of "Dd" this week . As we practice more letters/sounds, please practice blending our letters/sounds together to make works (mat, pit, did, etc.)
- We will continue practicing sight words. Our next set of sight words is: "he, come, this, here". We will focus on the sight word "come" this week. We will also practice "some" in relation to "come". As we add more sight words, please practice reading the sight word as well as spelling/writing the sight word. Making and writing sentences using the sight words is another good way to reinforce the sight words.
- We will practice making addition stories and solving addition problems.
- We will use position words and different types of lines to continue practicing handwriting. We will continue learning the correct formation of lower case letters. When your child writes his/her name, please reinforce writing it with an upper case (capital) letter and the rest lower case.
- We will practice making inferences and drawing conclusions as we read different stories this week.
- We will continue using our journals to express our ideas in complete sentences. We are working on using at least five words, with spaces, with an end mark, and with a upper case letter at the beginning of the sentences. We will practice writing a friendly letter .
- We will learn more about the Native American Indians, the Pilgrims, and the first Thanksgiving.
- November will be going quickly since school is closed November 19th and 20th for parent/teacher conferences. The conference sign-up genius was sent last week. Please let me know if you have any questions about signing up for conferences.
- It is a busy time of year and we are so THANKFUL for all you do! We are so THANKFUL for our students and being able to be part of their education...so we will just have 1 homework assignment this week.
- November 19th and 20th school will be closed for parent/teacher conferences.
- November 21st-23rd school will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Fr. Kevin is treating all the students to pizza on Monday, November 26th.
- The kindergarten and first grade will have a Christmas program. It is Thursday, December 13th at 1:30 in the church. ALL ARE WELCOME! The kindergarten students will get to wear all white to school that day for the program. White shirt, blouse, turtleneck, sweater, sweatshirt are great! White pants, sweatpants, leggings are great too but if you can't find white-cream or light khaki is fine. Students should still wear their gym shoes. Please, no tutus, skirts, or dresses. Thank you !