Church History

Date

Description

1854

Founding of "Die Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische Gemeinde (The German Evangelical Lutheran Church) of Watertown, Jefferson County, Wisconsin" on October 22 under the leadership of the Reverend Christian Sans

1863

Traveling by Pastor (and Synod President) Johannes Bading to Germany and Russia to gather funds for the establishing of Northwestern College

1888

Building of the present church structure for slightly over twenty-three thousand dollars, and changing of name to "Die Evangelische Lutherische Sankt Markus Gemeinde (The Evangelical Lutheran Saint Mark's Congregation) of Watertown, Wisconsin"

1893

Commissioning of our synod's first missionaries to work among the Apache Indians in Arizona in a service at Saint Mark's

1908

The interior of the church was decorated. It would look like this for about 40 years. At this time the altar was painted white, electricity was installed and an ornate set of stencils were used to decorate the walls.

1916

Forming of Trinity English Lutheran Congregation by members of Saint Mark's who were interested in having English services

1928

Establishing a second pastoral position at Saint Mark's

1949

New light fixtures were added to the altar area. Also, a door was added by the baptismal font to allow for better traffic flow.

1971

A railing was installed at the altar for communion. However, it was removed in 1997 when the sacrament of Holy Communion was moved to the main floor of the church for safety reasons. Also, the church narthex was built.

1981

Establishing a third pastoral position at Saint Mark's

1987

Building of the church's parish center

1995

Establish fourth and fifth part-time / semi-retired pastoral positions at Saint Mark's

1997

Church renovation completed

1998

Spanish language worship services begun

2009

School building project completed

2016

Organ restoration begun

St. Mark's Ev. Lutheran Church + 615 Jones St. + Watertown, WI 53094

Phone 920-262-8500 + Fax (920) 262-8508