CERT of Skagit County
LOOK WHAT'S NEW!
2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Disease Outbreak status from the Skagit County Department of Health
***ALL CERT CLASSES CANCELLED in SKAGIT COUNTY***
- Following the guidelines of Skagit County Public Health, we will postpone the rest of the CERT class until this Corona Virus is over. This postponement includes the classes in Burlington, Sedro-Woolley, Shelter Bay, Skyline and the CERT Train the Trainer class. I apologize for the inconvenience but I would like to be safe. I will be in touch with all of you to schedule the rest of the classes. Thank you all for understanding. Best Regards, Vickie Fontaine, Emergency Management Coordinator, Skagit County Emergency Management, email@example.com, Office: 360-416-1860, Cell: 360-391-0503.
- FREE Stop the Bleed classes are on the Calendar. Mount Vernon classes are on March 30, April 29, and July 27, 2020. Arlington classes are on May 19, September 22, and November 17, 2020. CALL the contact listed in the Calendar to confirm that the class you are interested in will still be held.
- When a Body is Discovered: CERT Members Role with the Coroner's Office
- The Homeowners Guide to Landslides for Washington and Oregon has been added under "Class Material > Other Links You May Like".
- The Skagit County Department of Emergency Management (DEM) Training and Exercise (T&E) Calendar is LINKED HERE. Check out the extensive training opportunities! Updated T&E Calendars will be posted when received or when posted on the DEM website.
- The Red Cross Newsletter is LINKED HERE. Be sure to check out the many Red Cross training opportunities! Updated Red Cross Newsletters will be posted when received.
- Skagit County K9 Search and Rescue is looking for volunteers to help with training dogs to find lost and missing persons. If you're CERT Certified and have a Skagit County Emergency Worker Card number, see the details LINKED HERE.
- CERT of SKAGIT operates under the Skagit County Emergency Worker Program provided for by Washington State Law RCW 38.52; CLICK HERE for more information.
- Ted T. , Liz F., and Bill D. have organized a CERT group in the La Conner / Shelter Bay area. If you live or work in the area contact Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sally W. and Kathy K. have organized a CERT group in Sedro-Woolley. If you live or work in the area contact email@example.com
- A Community Points of Distribution (CPOD) drill was held in May 2019. It was fun and informative training for members of CERT, Amateur Radio, Medical Reserve Corps, American Red Cross, Whatcom County Health Department, Skagit County of Department of Emergency Management and others. Thanks to Janicki Industries in Hamilton for hosting the event! If you missed it and have not completed CPOD training you can still view the Planning and Executing a POD Mission video, and complete the FEMA Independent Study Course "IS-26: Guide to Points of Distribution".
Let make this a great year!
For more information contact: Vickie Fontaine, Skagit County Emergency Management Coordinator, VickieF@co.skagit.wa.us, office 360-416-1860, cell 360-391-0503.
"If an earthquake or other disaster struck your neighborhood would you survive? Would you be able and willing to help rescue and provide basic first aid until emergency personnel became available?
If so please join the Skagit Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) open to any and all who would like to help.
The CERT program will educate you on personal disaster preparedness and for hazards that could impact your neighborhood. It provides training in basic disaster response skills such as medical triage and initial care, light search and rescue, fire risk and suppression, disaster psychology, terror response and team organization to understand local EMS procedures.
CERT graduates can expect the classroom training and exercises to help prepare them to provide immediate responses in a disaster for themselves and family as well as neighbors when professional responders are not available.
If willing, CERT graduates will be encouraged to continue to develop their skills at their own pace, help grow the CERT mission, participate in Skagit County DEM preparedness efforts and help in non-disaster events as able.
The Skagit County CERT mission is to strategically train and equip as many "initial" responders as funding and volunteer manpower allow before our next major disaster."
"Emergency Planning works, Not Planning does not work quite as well"
Mount Vernon CERT Class October 2018
Great class and great group of people
Fire Dist. 13 - 2018 Shakeout Drill
What a GREAT 2018 Shakeout Drill we had with Fire Dist. 13 in La Conner on 10/18/2018. About 35 CERT's & Hams participated, formed into teams, and were dispatched to multiple locations to observe damage and report the details back to Dist. 13 Emergency Command Center. Thank you Ted Taylor and Jim Sande for putting the drill on. In the afternoon the DEM sponsored training for WebEOC, a web-enabled crisis information management system that provides real-time Information Sharing and Situational Awareness between organizations, within and across disciplines and geographic regions. Skagit CERT would like to get more Hams and CERT's trained on WebEOC.
Mount Vernon CERT Class - Sept/Oct 2018
If you missed it, you missed a great Sedro-Woolley Class 2018. What a great group of friends.
My good friend Kurt. We had a really great group of instructors who made the class Amazing.
This cake was great, not one piece left!
Great "Traffic Management" Class 3/27/2018.