I am a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in computer science in the ICOS group, School of Computing Science at Newcastle University. Earlier, I worked with Edmund M. Clarke (Carnegie Mellon University) on formal verification, model checking, and systems biology.
PhD studentship: A Computational Systems Biology Approach to Psoriasis Treatment
I am always looking for bright, motivated PhD students interested in verification, cyber-physical systems, synthetic & systems biology, or quantum computing - do get in touch.
- Newcastle's Computing Science is ranked 76th in the 2017 World University Rankings by the Times Higher Education
- REF 2014: Newcastle's Computing Science is in the UK top-10 for Research Quality
- Mar. 2017 - Postdoc position in Parallel Computing at Newcastle
- Mar. 2017 - Taught a three-week Bioinformatics course at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Jan. 2017 - Two PhD studentships available:
- A Computational Systems Biology Approach to Psoriasis Treatment
- Modelling ciliates and cilia as sentinel of environmental changes (based at the University of Cambridge, co-supervised with Dr Pietro Liò)
- Sep. 2016 - I am co-organising the 1st International Workshop on Automated Reasoning for Systems Biology and Medicine in Cambridge, UK
- Sep. 2016 - PhD studentship available!
- Sep. 2016 - Paper accepted at HVC 2016
- Aug. 2016 - My student Jeremy Revell's team wins the International BioDesign Automation programming competition
- May 2016 - Our project was runner-up for the Rosetrees 2016 Interdisciplinary Prize! (Watch this space for PhD and postdoc positions.)
- More news ...
- Verification of Complex Cyber-Physical Systems. 01/2013 - 02/2017; Office of Naval Research (USA)
- A New Frontier in Design: The Simulation of Open Engineered Biological Systems. 11/2013 - 10/2018; EP/K039083/1; EPSRC (UK)
- Psoriasis Stratification to Optimise Relevant Therapy (PSORT). 09/2014 - 08/2018; MR/L011808/1; MRC (UK)
- Parameter Inference and Synthesis for Stochastic Biological Models. 10/2014 - 09/2018; BBSRC DTP (UK)
- Trans-Atlantic Modelling and Simulation for Cyber-Physical Systems. 02/2015 - 01/2017; Horizon 2020 (EU)
- Efficient Big Data Exploration and Verification by Cloud Computing. 10/2015 - 09/2019; SAgE DTA
- Synthetic Portabolomics: Leading the way at the crossroads of the Digital and the Bio Economies. 05/2016 - 04/2021; EP/N031962/1; EPSRC (UK)
Fedor Shmarov (PhD, 10/2013 -)
Jeremy Duncan Revell (MRes & PhD, 10/2014 -)
Mariia Vasileva (PhD, 10/2015 -)
Bowen Li (Postdoc, 05/2016 -)
Graham Smith (Postdoc, 06/2016 -)
At Newcastle we offer MSc degrees in Synthetic Biology (yes!), Computational Systems Biology, Bioinformatics, and Neuroinformatics. My current teaching.
ADHS18; CMSB 2017; HSCC 2013, 2014, 2016; IWBDA 2017; SBUK 2016; COMBINE 2016; SNR 2015; SMC 2013; RC 2012, 2013, 2014; HSB 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016; SASB 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016; PASM 2012, 2014
DPhil, Computer Science, University of Oxford (UK)
Laurea, Computer Science, Università degli Studi di Milano (Italy)