||Register and Log in
Register at: mapa.mapaproject.org
You'll receive an email with an activation link. Click on that and log in.
|| Add Information
Create a new project and add text, pics, people, orgs, species, links to publications, datasets, YouTube videos and more.
||Make your project live!
Every time you exit your project, you'll have an opportunity to make your project live. Accept "yes" to see your project appear on the map.
||Edit at any time
You can log into your account to change the live status of your project, add more projects, or edit information, at any time.
- How do I register?
- How do I create a project?
- How do the input screens work?
- How do I place my project on the map?
- How do I add links?
- How do I add a Person/People to my project?
- How do I add an affiliated organisation?
- How do I add a footprint? What is a Footprint?
- How do I add plant/animal species to my project?
- How do I make my project live?
- Can I come back and edit my project?
- 1 Step 1: Register and Log in
- 2 Step 2: Add information
- 3 Step 3: See your project live
- 4 Step 4: Add, Edit, Delete at any time
1. Click on this link and click on register.
2. You'll need to fill out a user-name, email and password. Once you've clicked "submit", you'll receive an email with an activation link.
3. Click on that link and log in with your user-name and password.
1. This is the screen you'll see once you've logged in. Click on the "P" button to get started.
2. Then Click "Create"
- Every project needs to have a single latitude and longitude value, in decimal degrees. This is the place on the map where your pin will be placed.
- If you know the lat/long values for your project off hand, you can enter it directly in the space provided.
- If you don't, you can simply click on "place your project on the map" button.
- A Google Map window (like the one you see below) will pop up with a single red pin.
- Left click on the pin, navigate (zoom and pan) to the correct location for your project, and left click again to place the pin in the correct position.
- Then click OK.
You can add a Project Leader, Data Entry Person, Contact Person, and Team Members
- To add a people, first check if their names are not already in the database. Start typing, and if it is, their name will appear. Simply select from list.
- If not, click on "Add New"
- You will see a pop-up like the one below
- Enter a name, surname, email address and (optional) a contact number for this person.
- Then click "Finish".
- If you click "Invite this person to be a portal user" the person whose details you're entering will receive an automatic with an activation link, username and password.
You can add a Primary Organisation, Implementing Organisations, and Collaborators
- To add a organisations, first check if their names are not already in the database. Start typing, and if it is, their name will appear. Select from the list.
- If it's not, click on "Add New"
- A screen (like the one below) will pop up
- Type in a name
- Upload an image of their logo
- Enter the organisation's website.
- Click "Finish"
- To add another organisation, simply click in the second white box (this will automatically appear when you click in the first) and repeat the process.
You can add Publication lists, Academic articles, Popular Articles, Reports, Theses, Datasets and more
- When you click "Add new", a screen like the one below will pop up.
- Select the "type" of link you're wanting to add
- Type in a URL (http:// or https://) address (optional).
- Choose an image thumbnail for it (optional)
- Click "Finish"
- Have a look at the GeoTools page for some examples.
- Learn how to here: http://earth.google.com/outreach/tutorials.html
- Place the cursor in the Footprints field, type any part of the file name and select it from the dropdown box
- Place the cursor in the Footprints field and press the space bar.
- Click ‘Add New’ and follow the on-screen instructions [screen shot image]
- Write a title and short description for your file (if you wish)
- Browse for the KML or KMZ file on your computer
- Click OK.
You can upload as many KML files against your project as you want. Simply click in the second (or third) white box and repeat the process.
- To add a species, start typing and select the one you want from the list. Click in the next box and repeat the process to add a second one.
- Coming Soon! You will soon be able add a species not already in the database, to the list.
- Once you've finished entering information, click on "save and exit". You can always come back to edit or add.
- When you press "Save & Exit", you'll receive a pop-up message giving you one of three options.
- When you select "yes, make live", we will authenticate your project and add it to the live map. You will receive an email confirmation of this.