[read a narrative
about how all of this fits together]
- The Endurance of National Constitutions, with Tom Ginsburg and James Melton. 2009. Cambridge University Press. | Data (requires registration)
Designed by Diffusion: Constitutional Reform in Developing Democracies. Manuscript in preparation.
Refereed Journal Articles
Non-refereed Journal Articles, including those from Law Reviews
- "Constitute: The world’s constitutions to read, search, and compare," with Tom Ginsburg, James Melton, Robert Shaffer, Juan F. Sequeda, and Daniel P. Miranker. 2014. Journal of Web Semantics 27–28: 10-18."
- Beyond Presidentialism and Parliamentarism: On the Hybridization of Constitutional Form," with Jose Cheibub and Tom Ginsburg. 2013. British Journal of Political Science.
- "On the Interpretability of Law: Lessons from the Decoding of National Constitutions," with Tom Ginsburg, James Melton, and Kalev Leetaru. 2012. British Journal of Political Science.
- “Diffusion and the Constitutionalization of Europe.” 2010. Comparative Political Studies 43: 1-31.
- “Does the Process of Constitution-Making Matter,” with Tom Ginsburg.and Justin Blount. 2009. Annual Review of Law and Social Science. Reprinted in Stefan Voigt (2013), Design
of Constitutions, Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar
- “Can Institutions Build Unity in Multiethnic States?”, with John Sides. 2007. American Political Science Review 101: 693-708. [Runner-up for the award of best article of 2007 given by the Comparative Democratization Section of APSA.]
- “Competing for Capital: The Diffusion of Bilateral Investment Treaties, 1959-2000,” with Beth Simmons and Andrew Guzman. 2006. International Organization 60(4). Data and Replication Information. Reprinted in: (a) Frank Dobbin, Beth Simmons, and Geoff Garrett (eds.) International Diffusion of Political and Economic Liberalization. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; (b) Michael Waibel (ed.) The Backlash against Investment Arbitration; and (c) the Illinois Law Review 2008: 265-304, with data and analysis updated to 2006, a postscript, and commentary by Christoph Engel.
- “The Globalization of Liberalization: Policy Diffusion in the International Political Economy,” with Beth Simmons. 2004. American Political Science Review 98: 171-190. | Data
- “Are Patriots Bigots? An Inquiry into the Vices of In-group Pride,” with Rui de Figueiredo. 2003. American Journal of Political Science 47: 171-188.
- "Gradations of Democracy? Empirical Tests of Alternative Conceptualizations." 2000. American Journal of Political Science 44: 293-300. | Data
- "Measuring Partial Membership in Categories: Alternative Tools." Qualitative and Multi-Method Research Newsletter: 12(1).
- "The Weight of History and the Rebuilding of Brazilian Democracy." Lua Nova: Revista de Cultura e Política 88: 257-303.
- "Comparability and the Analysis of National Constitutions." 2013. APSA-CP.
- “When Constitutions Shape National Identity.” 2013. LASA Forum
- "Getting to Rights: Treaty Ratification, Constitutional Convergence, and Human Rights Practice,” with Tom Ginsburg and Beth Simmons. Harvard International Law Journal.
- "Comment on Law and Versteeg’s ‘The Declining Influence of the U.S. Constitution,'” with Tom Ginsburg and James Melton. NYU Law Review.
- "Lessons from the Decoding and Coding of National Constitutions." 2010. APSA-CD 9(1).
- "On the Evasion of Executive Term Limits," with Tom Ginsburg and James Melton. 2011 William and Mary Law Review 52.
- "Latin American Presidentialism in Comparative and Historical Perspective," with Jose Cheibub and Tom Ginsburg. 2011. University of Texas Law Review 89(7).
- “Ancillary Powers of Constitutional Courts,” with Tom Ginsburg. 2009. University of Texas Law Review.
- “The Citizen as Founder: Public Participation in Constitutional Approval” with Tom Ginsburg and Justin Blount. 2009. Temple Law Review: 101-121. [An updated and expanded English version of the Spanish version (below)]
- “Ciudadano Como Fundador: la Participacion Publica en el Diseno Constitutional,” with Tom Ginsburg and Justin Blount. 2008. Revista Latinoamericana de Politica Comparada 1: 119-153. [Inaugural issue of a new journal on comparative politics.]
- “Military Occupations and their Constitutional Residue,” with Tom Ginsburg and James Melton. 2008. APSA-CP 19(2): 7-10. [APSA-CP is the newsletter of the Comparative Politics section of APSA]
- “Baghdad, Tokyo, Kabul...: Constitution-making in Occupied States," with Tom Ginsburg and James Melton. 2008. William and Mary Law Review 49(4): 1139-1178. | Data and appendix (requires registration)
- “Commitment and Diffusion: How and Why National Constitutions Incorporate International Law,” with Svitlana Chernykh and Tom Ginsburg. 2008. Illinois Law Review 201-237.
- “On Waves, Clusters, and Diffusion: A Conceptual Framework,” with Beth Simmons. 2005. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 598: 33-51.
- "Quem Votaria? As Consequências do Voto Obrigatόrio." 2000. Opinão Pública 6 (1). [English title: “Who Would Vote? The Consequences of Mandatory Voting”]
Chapters in Edited Volumes
- "Constitutions and the Management of Elections," with Svitlana Chernykh, James Melton, and Tom Ginsburg. In: Norris, P and Frank, RW and Martinez I Coma, F, (eds.) Advancing Electoral Integrity. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- "Comparative Approaches to Constitutional Gun Rights." In Glenn Howard Utter (ed) Guns and Contemporary Society: The Past, Present, and Future of Firearms and Firearm Policy.
- “The Content of Authoritarian Constitutions,” with Tom Ginsburg, and James Melton. In Tom Ginsburg and Alberto Simpser (eds) Constitutions in Authoritarian Regimes. Cambridge University Press.
- "Still the Land of Presidentialism? Executives and the Latin American Constitution," in Detlef Nolte and Almut Schilling (eds.). 2012. New Constitutionalism in Latin America: Promises and Practices. London: Ashgate.
- "Does the Process of Constitution-Making Matter?" with Justin Blount and Tom Ginsburg. 2011. In Tom Ginsburg (ed.), Comparative Constitutional Design. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- "Do Executive Term Limits Cause Constitutional Crises," with James Melton and Tom Ginsburg. 2011. In Tom Ginsburg (ed.), Comparative Constitutional Design. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- “Public Choice and Constitutional Design” with Tom Ginsburg. 2009. In Daniel Farber and Anne Joseph O’Connell (eds.) Elgar Handbook of Public Choice and Public Law.
- “A Hibridização De Formas Constitucionais: A Constituição Brasileira De 1988 Em Uma Perspectiva Histórica,” with Jose Cheibub. 2009. In O Legislativo Brasileiro em Perspectiva Comparada. Lucio Rennó and Magna Inácio, eds. Editora Editora UFMG.
- “Constitutional Networks.” 2009. In Miles Kahler (ed.), Networked Politics: Agency, Power, and Governance. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- “Is Democracy Contagious?” 2008. In Peter Nardulli (ed.) International Perspectives on Contemporary Democracy. University of Illinois Press.
- “Globalization and Policy Diffusion: Explaining Three Decades of Liberalization,” with Beth Simmons. 2003. In Miles Kahler and David A. Lake (eds.) Globalizing Authority: Economic Integration and the Changing Structure of Governance. Princeton, NJ: University of Princeton Press.
Reports and Policy Analysis
- "Whither Scotland? A Review of a Proposed Constitutional Plan," with Tom Ginsburg and James Melton.
- "A Review of Iceland's Draft Constitution," with Tom Ginsburg and James Melton.
- "Constitutional Reform in the English Speaking Carribbean: Challenges and Prospects," with Tom Ginsburg and Justin Blount.
- "Analysis of the Kenyan Draft Constitution," joint report of the Chicago Working Group on Constitutional Reform. University of Chicago.
- Commentary on the Iraqi Draft Constitution, with Tom Ginsburg. 2007.
- Latino Demographic Data Book, with Frederick Gey, Jon Stiles, and Jonathan Cohen. 1998. Berkeley, CA: California Policy Studies.
- "Problems of Service Delivery in Brazilian Public Security Policy," with Maria Cavalcanti, O’Neal Spicer, and Katherine Mock. 1997. In Policymaking in a Redemocratized Brazil, Volume 2: Public Policy and Social Exclusion. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.
- "Racing Toward a New Disabilities Strategy in the Americas," with Adelaide Farrah. 1994. Americas 46 (4).
Book Reviews, Encyclopedic Entries, and other writing.
- Review of Tulia Falleti's Democratization and Subnational Politics in Latin America. 2012 Perspectives on Politics 10(4): 1099-1101.
- Review of Marcus Kurtz’s Free Market Democracy and the Chilean and Mexican Countryside. 2005. Comparative Political Studies 38: 330-332.
- "Constitutional Engineering." 2010. In Dirk Berg-Schlosser and Leonardo Morlino (eds.), International Encylopedia of Political Science (Sage).
- "The Meat is Rotten but the Vodka is Potent: Evaluating Measurement Equivalence Across Context," with John Sides.
- "Seeking Stateness," with John Sides.
- "International Organizations, Reaction Functions, and the Structure of Trade Cooperation," with Bob Pahre and Kati Suominen.
"Micro-level Foundations of Diffusion Theory: Experimental Evidence"
- "Put Out More Flags: Political Exhibitionism and Neighborhood Context," with Brian Gaines.
* See also the links next to individual articles above