Make beautiful, nutritious, and tasty french toast with stewed berries.
- 3 eggs (or 3 flax eggs)
- 1/2 cup milk or almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices bread (gf if needed)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries (I used raspberries and blackberries)
- maple syrup or stevia to taste if berries are sour
- juice of half an orange
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a baking dish, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Dip bread in egg mixture to coat both sides, letting excess drip off. Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Cook bread until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer toast to a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- While french toast is cooking, place berries and juice in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir occasionally and bring to a simmer. Cook until berries start to break up, about 10 minutes. Stir in syrup or stevia until sweetened to your liking. Serve french toast with berries and sliced almonds. Like my heart french toast? Simply use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes after the french toast has cooked.