Cruising Corner‎ > ‎

* 2016 Cruises

Yankee Point Yacht Club

Onancock Cruise

Tuesday October 6th to Thursday October 8th, 2016



The day dawned beautiful with a light wind from the Northeast. Nine yachts from YPYC

began their after the Turkey Shoot trip to Onancock. Boats were underway early, some

traveling from the Rappahannock and one from the Great Wicomico, but all with a goal

of joining Lois and Brent Sparks aboard their yacht Navigator that had traveled to the

Eastern Shore the day before. The trip out to the ever distant Windmill Point mark was in

seas calm for the wind that had piped up, a light northerly breeze, good enough for motor

sailing  until Windmill Point! Then the water hit the bow (sorta like the rubber hitting

the road). This clearly was not going to be a soft, gentle Sunday afternoon sail as the

group turned left to a rough course of 066 degrees (M) and the Mathew generated waves

greeted the yachts ready for the fun of Onancock. Ursa Major with her two powerful

diesels churned on while Gypsea, Defiance and Amazing Grace were left to powering

through the four plus footers, bow buried every tenth wave or so. Charm was able to sail

down from the Reedville area and Karibe Kat followed later. First mates wondering just

what they had signed up for and the skippers thinking that this really isn’t a rest cruise

from the busy week just past and the very successful 2016 Hospice Turkey Shoot Regatta

(where was this blustery eighteen knots when we needed it?). Clearly if the selected

course is indeed the route to our chosen spot, we are in for a long, wet and bumpy ride.

Well here we go, peanut butter and jelly coming from the galleys below, soft drinks

sloshing to the deck, harness and tethers made fast and all settling in for a sunny but wet

passage. And then of course we all waited for the MSC behemoth sailing south down the

Chesapeake channel at what to a couple of boats saw was an initial CPA (Closest Point of

Approach) of zero and 150feet  best not to force the issue so Ursa Major and Amazing

Grace stood by while the ship looming as big as city block, made her agonizingly slow

trek south  but these monsters are so large their actual speed is deceptive. But after a

thirty-minute heave to, away we went onto our destination  a mere four hours in the



As we all found the red situated in what seems like mid-bay, a slight turn to starboard has

the boats heading toward the long creek passage to the lovely town of Onancock. If you

have not made this journey up the creek, it’s impressive, winding, beautiful and tricky.

Don’t venture outside the channel as this writer learned the hard way on the return sail

home. Into the slips and alongside the bulkhead, dock master Ruth there to greet us and

help with securing of the boats. Burgees flying, the beautiful Starts and Stripes now stiff

in the dockside breeze, we are safe and sound. Next up is the planned Tuesday (our

Wednesday night) Pot Luck at 1700 (check your watch), out came all sorts of fixins, the

Mayor would have been proud and indeed several town folks drove by thinking they had

found the pot of golden food at the end of the, gulp, road! All enjoyed the food, as usual

best eats in the displaced Northern Neck, but the evening began to cool down,

septuagenarian eyes (they are still some youngsters amid the crowd) begin to feel the

effects of the eight-hour slug through the bay’s waters, and some began to enjoy the last

toast of the day as they eyed their boats and the warm berths that lay beneath. So Taps

played, the sun set at the end of the creek some several thousand miles away and the next

day’s plans were briefly discussed and soon only the red tablecloths were left as evidence

that a group of sixteen had dined around the picnic table. Lights out!


Wednesday dawned beautiful as many made their way up the street to the local donut

shop for the sugar fix of all times. Several ventured into the quant town shops but all

made sure they were back at the dock for lunch to complete the consumption of the pot

luck leftovers from the night before. Sailors discussed their adventures, First Mates rolled

their eyes, the several pups along wondered why no one was throwing the ball and siesta

time seemed to be arriving along with two bells. We all enjoyed visiting one another’s

boats, listening to tales of how rough it was back in the Revolutionary Days and a lone

local painter set up her easel and then put brush to canvas as Navigator’s place in

Onancock’s history was recorded. Naps came easy, plans drifted as dreams and the

schedule were set for the evening dinner at Mallard’s next door with Kirt Mariner, a

retired Methodist minister and writer, was to join us for dinner and share his memories of

the Eastern Shore, then and today. Dinner began at1730 (yes this is a nautical story) with

cocktails and wine, more stories and then we all took our seats in the upstairs dining

room and soon were enjoying our delicious meal, crab cakes for yours truly! Table talk

centered on the Eastern Shore with Kirt regaling us with stories of the past Civil War

activities on the shore and even the agronomy nature of the local area. Books written by

Kirt were out for purchase and several brought home a tale or two. Time past, the thought

of walking into town slowly evaporated and plans were made to get underway the next

morning at 0800 (still nautical).


Underway all and heading out to the bay in good shape. Defiance first to the bay radioed

back that things were rolling on the bay and winds eighteen knots or so but still out of the

NE. The remainder of the yachts snaked their way the five plus miles from the dock to

the bay and one of the yachts decided to go bottom hunting at Number11  yup, Amazing

Grace found the sticky bottom just after the skipper (me) relieved the First Mate (Geanie)

 and took a channel 16 hail  and eased to a stop, some thirty feet off the mark. In order

to save some embarrassment, lets proceed with the good news that after some engine

work and a call to Smith Point Rescue (Northumberland Sherriff actually takes and

dispatches the calls), the wind seemingly under Geanie’s direction, moved us south into a

hole that allowed us to back out (after we had dropped our double reefed main) and back

into the channel we went  albeit not before the parade of boats observed the Commodore

in some very thin water. Not to be deterred, off we went into the bay, double reefed main

and genoa out and now making 8.2 knots toward Windmill Point. Seas rolling and winds

in the upper teens, skies a little iffy but arrival at the Point was uneventful as Amazing

Grace gybed behind Gypsea and off we sailed up the Rappahannock for home.


Seven boats made the trip across the bay with two of the original nine suffering some

problems as they entered the bay. Freestyle and Ariel opted to delay the crossing until

another day as Ariel sailed into Indian Creek and Freestyle sailed to the Western Branch.

The boats that enjoyed the crossing were Gypsea, Charm, Defiance, Navigator, Ursa

Major (with crew of Nina and David Turney), Karibe Kat and Amazing Grace. No dust

was left on any of the decks as the bay was upturned in anticipation of Hurricane Mathew

to the south.



Norfolk Harborfest Cruise has returned.

Four boats represented Norfolk's Harborfest June 10 - 12. 

The boats were: 

Islander - Skipper - Tom Dade, crew - Eddy Whichard, Gary Bobbitt, Lois Sparks, Brent Sparks, Sheridan Barber

Freestyle - Skipper - Warren Ryan, crew - Tom, Ken and Jim Ryan.  Eddy Whichard and Gary Bobbitt returned on Freestyle.

Karibbe Kat - Skipper - Karl Hamm, crew - Nancy Hamm

Charm - Skipper Jim Beardon, crew Kathy Beardon (friends of Karl & Eddy, member prospects) 

Generally, we departed on Wednesday (6/8) but Freestyle had a fuel issue that needed attention and departed Thursday afternoon. 

Thursday evening, we stayed anchored at Mill Creek, Old Point Comfort, and shared and evening meal while rafted-up.

Friday, we participated in the Parade of Sail and escorted the 310' Libertad and docked at Pagoda Dock.

Friday evening, we attended the Mayor's Reception at the Town Point Club.  

Saturday, everyone did whatever they wanted at Harborfest and in the evening watched the fireworks.

Sunday, we attended the brunch and departed for home.  Freestyle arrived home Sunday late, Islander arrived Monday, Karibbe Kat and  Charm arrived Tuesday. 

Everyone had a good time and we enjoyed each other's company.  We'll do this again! 



  Norfolk Harborfest 2016 Cruise