To view a specific Announcement expand the "Announcements" heading to the left of the page and select it, or scan down this page.
Host a Club Event -
A good way to get involved in Club activities is to host a social event. Whether it’s a dinner following a race or the Crab Feast, hosting an event is a great way to contribute to the Club. Contact Carroll Schwab for more information. "email@example.com"
Educational Seminars cover many areas dealing with Boating. Check the information below for subject detail. Contact Anker Madsen more detail and registration. "firstname.lastname@example.org"
Yankee Point Racing and Cruising Club Holds Sailing Seminar
Attendees from left: Franz Kasteel, Adrienne Green, Joel Dugan, Warren Ryan, Anker Madsen,
George Bott, Eddy Whichard, Carroll Schwab, Bill Ford, Sara Ford, Win Schwab, John Tidwell, and Bill Gesell.
In preparation for the spring racing season, members and guests of the Yankee Point Racing and Cruising Club met last Saturday, February 07, 2015, at their clubhouse on Meyer Creek for a seminar on the physics and mechanics of sailing. Led by Fleet Captain, Anker Madsen, the Sail Trim Class included boat handling and factors which contribute to boat speed. The thirteen participants reviewed how winds move over sails, the sources of power, the twist of the sail, control of the sails and other topics relating to racing.
Useful information was provided, tales were told, and attendees left more knowledgeable and entertained. The next seminar will be held on February 28th and the topic will be Basic Navigation. Yankee Point Racing and Cruising Club welcomes new members and guests.
* * *
FBYC Crew Training Program classes start in March. Fishing Bay Yacht Club started this program over 25 years ago and has been introducing sailors to the sport and to FBYC ever since. The class consists of 3 evening classes in Richmond and 2 optional on-the-water practice days at FBYC (Deltaville). Classroom instruction is provided by FBYC racing skippers and crew with experience in local, national and international racing. Participants are given written materials to compliment the classroom sessions. Classroom sessions (all at 6:30pm on Tuesdays): March 24, March 31, and April 14. Optional On-the-Water (both at 10 am): Saturday, April 18 and Sunday, May 3. Space is limited, so register early. Sign up Online at www.FBYC.net or contact Jon Deutsch, 804-305-1244 or Greg Watt, 757-849-8451 Click on https://www.fbyc.net/Sailing/Crewtraining for detailed info and an informative video.
1. JANUARY 17th, Saturday, 6pm. Event: Baby It's Cold Outside, 40's Music, Match baby photos with club members, Food: "Comfort Food" = meatloaf, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, soup, stuff that Grandma would make. All Pot Luck & BYOB.
2. FEBRUARY 21st, Saturday, 6pm. Event: Jazz and Jambalaya, New Orleans jazz, Marti Gras décor. Food: Club to provide Jambalaya & Fried Catfish. Dirty Rice & Beans, Cornbread, Salad. BYOB. There will be a charge for this event.
3. MARCH 21st, Saturday, Noon. Event: Oyster Roast. Oysters, Hamburgers & Hot Dogs for non-oyster fans. Club to provide sides & dessert & drinks, except BYOB. There will be a charge for this event.
4. APRIL 11th , Saturday, Clean Up Day. Hot Dogs, Potato Salad, drinks.
APRIL 18th, Saturday, 11am. Event: Blessing of the Fleet. Flag raising, blessing. Brunch or lunch. Food: Club to provide ham & drinks. The rest is potluck.
5. MAY 16th, Saturday, 6pm. Event: YPRCC Spring Regatta. Club to provide: Beef & pork tenderloin, baked potato bar with toppings, salad, dessert. BYOB. There will be a charge for this event.
6. JUNE 20th, Saturday. Event: Triple Crown (Tribute to Horse Race Derbies). Attire: Ladies - big hats; Men: Bow ties. And use your imagination. Contest for best Derby dressed man and woman. Food: Beef Bourguignon, salad, mint juleps, and more. BYOB. There will be a charge for this event.
7. JULY 4th, Saturday. Event: July 4th! Red, white and blue. Picnic food: Hotdogs, potato salad, coleslaw, watermelon, s'mores. Games for kids and adults.
8. AUGUST 1st, Saturday, after Pursuit Race. Event: Jimmy Buffet. Tropical shirts, Buffet music. Food: Cheeseburgers, french fries, fruit salads, drinks
9. SEPTEMBER 26th, Saturday. Event: Hosting Rappahannock Cup. Club provided & catered. Tuscany theme. Rustic Garlic Chicken, smashed potatoes, whole steamed green beans, something pasta, crusty bread, rustic pies. There will be a charge for this event.
10. OCTOBER 24th, Saturday. Event: Either Octoberfest or Shiva on the Rivah - TBD
11. NOVEMBER Event: Annual Meeting. Food TBD but possibly club to provide ham, all else potluck and BYOB.
12. DECEMBER 12th, Saturday. Event: Holiday Party.
13. DECEMBER 31st, Wednesday, 7pm until. Event: New Year’s Eve.
The Coast Guard Auxiliary and the club were extremely pleased with the turnout. I believe everyone learned something, and everyone passed and got their Virginia safe boating card.
All boat operators are required to have taken a safe boating course by next year (under fifty this year). If you missed the class, the CG Auxiliary will be teaching six public classes in the area this year. Contact Win Schwab for dates and details.
Left to right:
Walter Montross, Flotilla 33 Vice Commander
Anker Madsen, YPRCC Fleet Captain
Dan Huddy (top)
Jack Blaine (kneeling)
Win Schwab, Flotilla 33 Public Education Officer
Coast Guard Auxiliary Safe Boating Class January 24
YPRCC Seminars will be held in our Clubhouse at 734 Oak Hill Rd, Lancaster.
For additional information contact Anker Madsen at YPRCCFleet@gmail.com, 804 462-0582
A 2015 Seminar Schedule has been established.
Refer to the "ACTIVITY CALENDAR" for more details.