Department of Statistics and Data Sciences
The University of Texas at Austin
Greetings! My name is Yang Ni (/y-ah-ng nee/). I will join the Department of Statistics, Texas A&M as a tenure-track Assistant Professor in fall 2018. I'm currently (since Jan 2016) a post-doc fellow at UT Austin working with Peter Müller. Before I joined UT, I got my PhD degree in Statistics from Rice University, supervised by Francesco Stingo and Veerabhadran Baladandayuthapani.
Areas of Interest
Methodology: Graphical models, Bayesian nonparametrics, big data computation, random networks, variable selection, clustering and feature allocation, classification.
Application: Gene/protein networks reconstruction, integrative genomics, brain connectomics, clinical trial design, tumor heterogeneity, precision medicine, biomarker detection, genetics, neuroscience, electronic health records.
 Ni, Y., Müller, P., Diesendruck, M., Williamson, S., Zhu, Y., and Ji, Y. "Scalable Bayesian Nonparametric Clustering and Classification." Submitted.
- Keywords: electronic health records, computation; parallel computing, clustering, classification, non-conjugate models, product partition models
 Ni, Y., Müller, P., Shpak M. , and Ji, Y. "Parallel-Tempered Feature Allocation for Large-scale Tumor Heterogeneity with Deep Sequencing Data." Submitted.
- Keywords: computation, tumor heterogeneity; feature allocation, Indian buffet process, parallel tempering
 Ni, Y., Müller, P., Lin, W., and Ji, Y. "Bayesian Graphical Models for Computational Network Biology." BMC Bioinformatics (in press).
- Keywords: graphical models; directed graph, undirected graph, chain graph, reciprocal graph, causality, review
 Ni, Y., and Müller, P. (2017), Discussion of "Sparse Graphs Using Exchangeable Random Measures." by Caron, F., and Fox, E. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B. [arxiv]
- Keywords: random networks, graphical models, discussion
 Ni, Y., Stingo, F. C., Ha, M. J., Akbani, R., and Baladandayuthapani, V. "Bayesian Hierarchical Varying-sparsity Model with Application to Cancer Proteogenomics." Journal of the American Statistical Association (in press). [app]
- Keywords: variable selection, prognostic biomarker; tumor heterogeneity, precision medicine, p-splines, thresholding prior, proteogenomics, precision medicine
 Shpak M., Ni, Y., Lu, J., Müller, P. "Variance in Estimated Pairwise Genetic Distance Under High versus Low Coverage Sequencing: the Contribution of Linkage Disequilibrium." Theoretical Population Biology (in press). [biorxiv]
- Keywords: genetics; genetic distance, linkage disequilibrium, coverage, cancer genomics, pooled sampling, next-generation sequencing
 Ni, Y., Müller, P., Zhu, Y., and Ji, Y. "Heterogeneous Reciprocal Graphical Models." Biometrics (in press). [arxiv]
- Keywords: Bayesian nonparametrics, graphical models; Dirichlet-multinomial allocation; model-based clustering, multiplatform genomic data, Pitman-Yor process, thresholding prior
 Ni, Y., Ji, Y., and Müller, P. "Reciprocal Graphical Models for Integrative Gene Regulatory Network Analysis." Bayesian Analysis (in press). [arxiv]
- Keywords: graphical models; simultaneous equation models, Markov equivalence, directed cycles, feedback loop, multiplatform genomic data
- Keywords: graphical models; directed acyclic graph, thresholding prior, non-local prior, predictive network, subject-specific graph, varying graph structure
 Ni, Y., Stingo, F. C., and Baladandayuthapani, V. (2017), "Sparse Multi-dimensional Graphical Models: A Unified Bayesian Framework.'' Journal of the American Statistical Association, 112(518) 779-793 [link]
- Keywords: graphical models; Decomposable and nondecomposable graphs, directed acyclic graphs, LDL decomposition, partially collapsed Gibbs sampler
 Guo, W., Ni, Y., and Ji, Y. (2015), "TEAMS: Toxicity- and Efficacy-based Dose Insertion Design with Adaptive Model Selection for Phase I/II Dose-Escalation Trials in Oncology." Statistics in Biosciences, 7(2) 432-459. [link]
- Keywords: phase I/II clinical trial; adaptive model selection, dose insertion
 Ni, Y., Stingo, F.C., and Baladandayuthapani, V. (2015), "Bayesian Nonlinear Model Selection for Gene Regulatory Networks." Biometrics, 71(3) 585-595. [link]
- Keywords: graphical models; directed acyclic graph, gene regulatory network, model and functional selection, p-splines
 Ni, Y., Marchetti, G. M., Baladandayuthapani, V, and Stingo, F. C. (2015), "Bayesian Approaches for Large Biological Networks.'' in Nonparametric Bayesian Methods in Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Mitra, R. and Müller, P. (eds), Springer-Verlag. [link]
- Keywords: graphical models, book chapter
 Ni, Y., Stingo, F. C., and Baladandayuthapani, V. (2014), "Integrative Bayesian Network Analysis of Genomic Data.'' Cancer Informatics, 13(s2) 39-48. [link]
- Keywords: graphical models; data integration, glioblastoma multiforme, Bayesian network, multiplatform genomic data
 Travel Support, Rising Stars Symposium in Data Science, The University of Chicago, 2017
 Savage Award (honorable mention), Best Bayesian Dissertations, 2017
 Travel Support, The Third Annual Kliakhandler Conference on Bayesian Inference in Statistics and Statistical Genetics, 2017
 Junior Travel Support, 19th Meeting of New Researchers in Statistics and Probability, 2017
 Junior Travel Support, CBMS: Regional Conference on Spatial Statistics, 2017
 Young Researcher Award, The 10th ICSA International Conference, 2016
 Student Paper Award, The Section on Statistical Learning and Data Mining (SLDM) of the American Statistical Association (ASA), JSM 2016.
 NSF Junior Travel Support, ISBA World Meeting, Sardinia, Italy, 2016
 Jiann-Ping Hsu Pharmaceutical and Regulatory Sciences Award, Joint 24th ICSA Applied Statistics Symposium and 13th Graybill Conference, 2015.
 Young Investigator Travel Support, G70 Conference, Durham, North Carolina, 2015.
 Laplace Award (co-winner), top paper among the student travel award winners, The Section on Bayesian Statistical Science (SBSS) of the American Statistical Association (ASA), JSM 2014.
Bayesian graphical models for complex biological networks (Savage award honorable mention)
Last updated: 04/2018