Xusheng Xiao (肖旭生)
Ph. D. Candidate, Department of Computer Science, NC State University
Visiting Student, Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com
- Automated Software Testing and Debugging
- Dynamic / Static Program Analysis
- Text Analytics for Software Engineering and Security
- Performance Analysis / Prediction
I am on the job market looking for an academic/research-lab position, please feel free to contact me.
My Ph.D. dissertation focuses on improving cooperation between users and tools for improving software quality. My dissertation research advocates a general methodology cooperative testing and analysis, which identifies the problems faced by software testing and analysis tools, and provides explanations to improve user understanding of the problems using analysis results from multiple types of artifacts, such as code and natural-language software artifacts. Such methodology enables users to make informed decisions to cooperate with the tools, improving the effectiveness of the tools (see my papers at ICSE 2011, ASE 2012, ASE 2013, Usenix Security 201, ISSTA 2013). I am also working on text analytics for inferring formal models from natural language software artifacts (see my papers at FSE 2012, ICSE 2012).
I am currently working on the following main projects:
- Cooperative Testing and Analysis with Informed Decision Making
- Structural Test Generation
- Mobile Security
- Performance Analysis
- Text Analytics for Formal Model Inference
- Xusheng Xiao, Shi Han, Tao Xie, and Dongmei Zhang. Context-Sensitive Delta Inference for Identifying Workload-Dependent Performance Bottlenecks. In Proceedings of the 2013 International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (ISSTA 2013), pages 90-100, Lugano Switzerland, July 2013. Download: [PDF][BibTex]. (Acceptance Rate: 25.8%, 32 out of 124).
- Xusheng Xiao, Sihan Li, Tao Xie, and Nikolai Tillmann. Characteristic Studies of Loop Problems for Structural Test Generation via Symbolic Execution. In Proceedings of the 28th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE 2013), pages 246-256, Palo Alto, California, November 2013. Download: [PDF][BibTex]. (Acceptance Rate: 17.0%, 43 out of 254).
- Xusheng Xiao, Amit Paradkar, Suresh Thummalapenta and Tao Xie. Automated Extraction of Security Policies from Natural-Language Software Documents. In Proceedings of the 20th ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE 2012), pages 12:1-12:11, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA, November 2012. Download: [PDF][Slides][BibTex]. (Acceptance Rate: 17.4%, 35 out of 201).
- Xusheng Xiao, Nikolai Tillmann, Manuel Fahndrich, Jonathan de Halleux, Michal Moskal. User-Aware Privacy Control via Extended Static-Information-Flow Analysis. In Proceedings of the 27th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering 2012 (ASE 2012), pages 80-89, Essen, Germany, 2012. Download: [PDF][BibTex]. (Acceptance Rate: 15.2%, 21 out of 138)
- Xusheng Xiao, Tao Xie, Nikolai Tillmann, and Jonathan de Halleux. Precise Identification of Problems for Structural Test Generation. In Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2011), pages 611-620, Honolulu, Hawaii, May 2011. Download: [PDF][BibTex][Demo][Tool]. (Acceptance Rate: 14%, 62 out of 442)
- A shorter version of this paper won the award of "Best project representing an innovative use of Microsoft technology" in ICSE 2011!
- An extended abstract of this paper won the award of "ICSE SRC Best Project Representing an Innovative Use of Microsoft Technology" in ACM SRC Grand Final 2012!
- Invited Talk: Cooperative Testing and Analysis via Informed Decision Making, Fujitsu Laboratories of America, Inc, Sunnyvale, USA, Nov, 2013
- Invited Talk: WHYPER: Towards Automating Risk Assessment of Mobile Applications, Google Research, USA, 2013
- Invited Talk: Cooperative Testing and Analysis via Informed Decision Making. The Midwest Verification Day 2013 (MVD'13), USA, Sep, 2013.
- Invited Talk: WHYPER: Towards Automating Risk Assessment of Mobile Applications. MSR Redmond, USA, June, 2013.
- Competition Talk: Construction and Validation of Access Control Policies via Natural Language Processing and Policy Verification. Association of Graduates, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado, USA, April, 2011.
- Invited Talk [Video]: Precise Identification of Problems for Structural Test Generation. MSR Redmond, USA, March, 2011.
- Invited Talk: Automatic Construction and Validation of Access Control Policies from Natural-Language Documents. NIST, USA, March, 2011.