Not Sure if sync is still running
If you think your sync is stuck you can check your computers task manager to make sure QB's and XpandedReports are still running. If the numbers are changing then its still working. If they aren't changing then you may need to sign out of XpandedReports and try again.
If your sync fails, you need to go back thru the process and make sure:
1.Your QB's file is open and your logged in as Admin.
2. Your data files integrity was verified and was not corrupt.
3. Make sure you have the most up-to-date Java installed.
4. Make sure your QB's certificate is checked off in QB's. To check this select Edit>Preferences>Intergrated Applications>Company Preferences. Scroll down until you see XpandedReports then select properties, see below the boxes that must be checked.
(NOTE: If your using a remote desktop, make sure your QB's file and XpandedReports are open in the same window. You can't have QB's on your Remote Desktop and your XR open on your computer, they won't be able to communicate.)
If all four of those items are correct then move on to these next steps:
1. Try signing out of QB's and XpandedReports, then logging back in.
2. Try using a different browser (recommended IE 9, Google Chrome, Fire Fox)
3. If you have your data located on a server, try syncing your file from your server.
4. If you still receive errors, try creating a portable company file in QB's then restoring the data.
If your still experiencing issues call 1-800-280-3868 for assitance.
Tools to help troubleshoot sync issue:
Debugging problems: Java logging and tracing
Tracing and logging is a facility to redirect any output in the Java Console to a log file. To enable logging perform the following actions:
- Open Java Control Panel (Java Control Panel is located in your Windows Control Panel)
- Click Advanced tab. (Advanced is the last tab )
- Enable all the options under the Debugging option
For Windows XP, the default location (directory) of the trace and log files is:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Sun\Java\Deployment\log
Example: C:\Documents and Settings\joan\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\log
For Windows 7, the default location (directory) of the trace and log files is:
- The names of the trace and log files are
- plugin<modified version number>.trace
- plugin<modified version number>.log.
Java not working in IE 8
In IE 8 there is not a Java section on the advanced menu. Java is listed in the Add-ons. To check if Java is installed and enabled click on “Tools” on the IE Menu Bar and click Manage Add-ons. In the Manage Add-ons window make sure that Tool Bars and Extensions is highlighted on the left hand side of the Window and then look for the Sun Microsystems section in the main area of the window. If it is listed there but shows to be disabled, click on the Java plug-ins and enable them. If they do not show up in the Add-ins, it means that Java didn’t install correctly.
If Java was not installed correctly go to the Control Panel and uninstall java. Read this Microsoft Knowledge Base article about the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
Download and install the utility. Run it and look for the Java install and remove the leftover install files if the utility finds any. Once this has been completed follow this link to download and install Java 6:
I'm getting a Severe Error Message, what does it mean & how do I fix it?
This message is displayed when QB's is not connecting to XpandedReports.
Check to make sure your QB's file is open and that your logged in as Admin.
If you have your QB's file located on a server, updates must be done from that system.
Collecting SDK logging information.
Note: Some of these directories are hidden, so they may not appear when browsing directly. Either type the directory in the Address bar, or enable hidden folders (Tools, Folder Options, View tab, "Show hidden files and folders") to get to them.
Enable "verbose" logging:
Enable "verbose" logging so we can get more information from Intuit.
1. Open the settings file "qbsdk.ini". This will be in a different location depending on your QuickBooks version:
Versions 2008 or later:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Intuit\QuickBooks\qbsdk.ini
Versions 2007 or earlier:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\qbsdk.ini
2. In the "[LOG]" section, change "LEVEL" from "info" to "verbose"
If the [LOG] section does not exist, add the following:
3. Restart QuickBooks and run XR sync.
4. When you are all done debugging, don't forget to restore the Level in qbsdk.ini to:
5. Find and submit qbsdklog.txt. qbsdklog.txt is located:
QuickBooks 2008 or later: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Intuit\QuickBooks\qbsdklog.txt
QuickBooks 2007 or earlier: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\qbsdklog.txt
Windows 7: "C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks\qbsdklog.txt"
I am having a problem using computed columns. What should I do?
Using computed columns requires a higher level of Java security. To allow computed columns to work, enable online certificate validation. To do so, select the Java control panel, Advanced tab, select “Enable online certificate validation”. The following image displays the tab.
How do I control if XpandedReports opens on a new tab or in a new window?
Displaying the link in a new tab versus new window is an IE8 option. In the following, the “Always open pop-ups in a new tab”has to be selected to open in new tab rather than window.
By default, IE has “Always open pop-ups in a new window”.
How do I close my QuickBooks if it says a Third Party Application is still running?
This message will appear if you "X" out of XpandedReports without properly signing out. To correct this issue, log back into your XpandedReports and then select the "Sign Out" button in the upper right corner.
If you still receive the error message after logging out of XpandedReports correctly, follow the link below to close your QuickBooks File.