Assistant Professor of Economics and Finance, Gore Business School, Westminster College (Salt Lake City, USA)
My official Website at Westminster College is here
Research interests: Corporate governance,corporate finance, political
Sheng Xiao's CV is available here
Sheng Xiao's Research
Papers in English:(You can click the titles to view the papers at the publishers' websites. ALL of these journals are indexed in Social Science Citation Index (SSCI) by Thomson Reuters.)
1.Xiao, Sheng and Shan Zhao, 2012. Financial development, government ownership of banks, and firm innovation. Journal of International Money and Finance 31, 880-906.(Working paper version:please click here)
2. Xiao, Sheng and Shan Zhao, 2012. How do agency problems affect firm performance? Evidence from China. European Journal of Finance, forthcoming.(Working paper version: please click here).
3. Huang, Linqiang and Sheng Xiao, 2012. How does government ownership affect firm performance?A simple model of privatization in transition economies. Economics Letters 116, 480-482.(Online Technical Appendix (proofs): please click here.)
4. Rousseau, Peter L. and Sheng Xiao, 2008. Change of control and the success of China's share issue privatization. China Economic Review 19, 605-613.(Working paper version: please click here).
5. Rousseau, Peter L. and Sheng Xiao, 2007. Banks, stock markets, and China’s “great leap forward”. Emerging Markets Review 8, 206-217.(Working paper version: please click here) (Ranking among "the top 25 hottest articles in Emerging Markets Review between October and December 2007")
6. Xiao, Sheng and Xiangyi Zhou, 2013. Venture capital investments in China: reputation, syndication and valuation. In Douglas Cumming, Wenxuan Hou et al. (Eds.) The Experiences and Challenges in the Development of the Chinese Capital Market. Palgrave Macmillan, pp.74-96.
Papers in Chinese:(You can click the titles to view the papers at the publishers' websites)
7.Zhou, Xiangyi, Yuhang Wei and Sheng Xiao, 2013. The Impact of Fund Flows on Private Equity Value--Evidence from China. Journal of Shanxi Finance and Economics University. (CSSCI-indexed; CSSCI: Chinese Social Science Citation Index)
8.Xiao, Sheng and Shan Zhao, 2003. Corporate diversification, firm performance and ownership structure. Chinese Management Review 6, 79-91.
9.Xiao, Sheng, 2000. The impact of the information technology revolution on modern finance. Journal of Sichuan University 32, 51-56. (CSSCI-indexed)
---Semi-finalist for Best Paper Award, Financial Management Association Meeting 2013
---Presented by Sheng Xiao at FMA 2013 (Chicago).
---Presented by Shan Zhao at AFFI 2013 (Lyon, France).
---Presented by Sheng Xiao at Corporate Governance Symposium at University of Delaware on November 9, 2012. (Only 4 papers out of 76 submissions were accepted for presentation)
---Featured in "A Study Links Expert Directors to Value" (by Katie Wagner), a report in Agenda, a Financial Times Publication on December 3, 2012.
--Presented by Sheng Xiao at seminars at University of Minnesota at Morris, University of New South Wales, University of Sydney, and University of Technology at Sydney in 2012.
---Presented by Christian Ruzzier at seminars at Argentine Association of Political Economy (Mar del Plata, Argentina), IAE Business School (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Business School of the Universidad Catolica (Santiago, Chile) in 2012. To be presented by Christian Ruzzier at Second Argentine Congress on Governance in Organization in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 2013.
2. “Ownership structure and corporate innovation” (With Chen Lin and Shan Zhao)
3."Corporate innovation and industrial diversification" (With Zhao Rong)
--Presented by Zhao Rong at FMA 2013 (Chicago)
---Presented by Sheng Xiao at Paris Financial Management Conference 2013 (Paris, France).
---Revised version to be presented by Sheng Xiao at European Financial Management Association Annual Meeting (Rome, Italy).
4.“Asymmetric information in automobile insurance markets：new evidence from China” (With Juanjuan Meng and Linqiang Huang)
5. "How does financial development affect income inequality? Evidence from 105 countries" (with Bixuan Sun)
---Presented by Bixuan Sun at Missouri Valley Economic Association Annual Meeting in Memphis, TN on October 25, 2012.
6. "Foreign ownership and risk taking" (with Donghui Li, Zhe An and Garland Huang)
7. "Creditor rights and innovations: new evidence from a natural experiment" (with Shan Zhao)
8. "Is there 'grandstanding' in the venture capital industry in China?" (with Xiangyi Zhou and Wenxiu Sun)
In addition, as a co-principal-investigator, I am working on a research project on corporate governance in China, which is sponsored by China National Natural Science Foundation. I am also working on research projects on venture capital investments. My research on venture capital investments is supported by Westminster College's Research Assistant Support Fund, Westminster College's Gore Course Release Fund (2013-present) and University of Minnesota's Faculty Research Enhancement Fund (2011-2013) .
RECENT CONFERENCE DISCUSSION SLIDES
1. FMA 2013 (Chicago): Discussion on Contractual revisions in compensation: Evidence from merger bonuses to target CEOs (Fich, Rice and Tran 2013): click here
2. FMA 2013 (Chicago): Discussion on Board Changes and CEO Turnover: The Unanticipated Effects of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (Dah, Frye and Hurst 2013): click here
3. FMA 2013 (Chicago): Discussion on How does Executive Compensation affect Pension Choice? (Thompson 2013): click here
4. Pairs Financial Management Conference 2013 (Paris, France): Discussion on Cash holding in growing firms: Evidence from of French IPOs (Gama 2013): click here
5. European Journal of Finance Conference on Chinese Capital Markets 2011 (Durham, UK): Discussion on Domestic and Foreign Institutional Investor Behavior in China (Liu, Bredin, Wang and Yi 2011): click here
6. Emerging Markets Finance Conference 2011 (London, UK): Discussion on Bank Efficiency, Financial Depth and Economic Growth (Koetter, Hasan, Lensink and Meesters 2011): click here
7. Corporate Governance Workship 2009 (Copenhagen, Denmark): Discussion on Ownership types, CEO and Chairman Political Connections, and Long-run Post-IPO Performance: Evidence from China (Yu): click here.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RESEARCH FUNDING
I gratefully acknowledge the generous financial support to my research from the following institutions:
--National Natural Science Fund (2013--present)
--Research Assistant Support Fund (2013-present)
--Gore Course Release Fund (2013-present)
---Morris Academic Partner Fund (2012-2013)
---Faculty Mentoring Enrichment Fund (2011-2012)
---Research Assistant Fund (2011-2013)
---International Travel Grant (2011).
---Faculty Development Grant (2007-2008).
---Kirk Dornbush Summer Research Grant (2003).
For Sheng Xiao's Educational Background, please see here.
For Sheng Xiao's Employment History, please see here.
For Furman University's Study Abroad in China Program in 2007, which was directed by Sheng Xiao, please see here.