A Paxton woman lost everything except the family Bible after her home caught fire Thursday morning. Walton Fire-Rescue was dispatched to Cannon Drive, north of Highway 147, to a single wide mobile home. Chief Brian Coley says as the firefighters arrived, the home was already completely involved and was a total loss.
The home’s owner, Viola Cooper, was not at home. She has been in the hospital for two months with multiple medical complications and recently was released and was staying with her son. He says she has most of her clothes, but lost everything in the blaze.
Coley says the front of the property in the rural residential neighborhood has a high and thick hedge. He says this prevented neighbors from seeing the fire sooner. Surrounding trees were scorched, but the damp morning and cut grass kept the fire from spreading to the nearby woods and a brick home about 100 feet away.
Cooper’s son-in-law, Bill Imfeld, says she lost many pictures and personal belongings. However, he says the family Bible made it through.
Picture and video are on our website; http://www.wzep1460.com and click on the “News” button and look for this story. You may also go directly to our Picasa site at: https://picasaweb.google.com/wzep1460/PaxtonFire?authuser=0&feat=directlink