Referee Program News
See attached PDF documents, below:
The PDF document below provides detail on WV Referee recruitment and retention from 2006 - 2015. Some grim observations:
I knew Peter Underwood as an assistant coach for the Marshall University Women's Team and for youth teams with the West Virginia Soccer Club (now the WV Futbol Club). Peter was the very definition of class. The youngest person in the world at the time to hold a UEFA A license, no single memory better illustrates Peter's talents as a coach than what I observed while AR1 in a U11G match at the 2009 WVSA Open Cup. Peter's tactical instructions from the technical area were unfailingly positive for those young players. He never admonished his players to "run faster" or critiqued a missed shot. Rather, he continually motivated them with encouragement: "Who can be first?" "Can you win that ball?" "Anything left in the tank for me?" He was a truly inspirational leader, eliciting from his side everything they were capable of giving, but more than they themselves even realized. I was honored to share the pitch with him that day and the planet with him in the time since. -Mike McCarthy
A great documentary on the training and development of EPL referees from NBC Sports:
Volunteers needed for Referee Transport & Hospitality for Region 1 Tournament, June 26-30, Barboursville, WV
Those wishing to volunteer to provide referee golf-cart transportation at the game sites or hospitality at the referee tent (snacks and hydration provided) can sign up for time slots at www.signupgenius.com/go/4090b4ba95-wvsoccer. Look for the Referee Transport / Hospitality category.
The New Hampshire Soccer Association has launched its "It's a Game: Take a Stance Against Referee Abuse" zero tolerance policy with this promotional video.
If you have not yet recertified for badge year 2015, there is now a process available which is completely self-directed and completely online.
See the "Online Recertification" link on the "For Referees" page of www.wvsareferees.org (www.wvsareferees.org/for-referees/online-recertification).
In order to use this online recertification, you must:
The WVSA Referee Program 2014 Annual Report has been posted in PDF format to the collection of files at the bottom of the "For Referees" page of this website. Also posted is an Excel file with additional data related to the annual report.
In the next couple of weeks, US Soccer will go-live with their NEW online referee registration system at http://ussoccer.force.com/referee. Step-by-step instructions are attached in PDF format.
IF you have ALREADY registered and paid for 2015, you do NOT need to register again. But, since all referees will need to create an account in the new system, you should go ahead and follow steps 1 and 2 in the attached PDF instructions.
If you have not yet paid for 2015, you should do so through this NEW registration system by following steps 1 through 9 in the attached PDF.
The ussoccer.info website will be retired within the next couple of weeks.
Five referees are among the eleven members of the inaugural Class of 2015 of the WV Soccer Association Hall of Fame:
- Dennis Brumfield (Point Pleasant) - Current State Director of Referee Instruction, Former WVSA President, Region I Treasurer, and US Youth Soccer Treasurer.
- The late Gorden Hearnshaw (Charleston) - Former WVSA State Referee Administrator, coach, referee and player.
- Les Baldwin (South Charleston) - Former WVSA State Referee Administrator, referee, instructor and assessor, administrator of SCDYSL and KVSL
- Eric Wood (Charleston) - Former administrator of KVSL, SWVASL, referee, and instructor and WVSA board
- Jane Laraba (Beckley) - Former US Youth Soccer Region I Cup Committee,WVSA administrator, coach, referee and referee instructor
Other inductees in the Class of 2015 include:
- Jay Adams (Wheeling) - Former administrator of Wheeling FC, WVSA and WVSA ODP
- Bob Gray (Huntington) - Two terms as WVSA Director of Coaching, WVSA ODP coach and DOC, current men's head soccer coach of Marshall University
- The late Ken Cross (Elkins) - Former President of WVYSA, administrator, player and coach in Elkins
- Hank Steinbrecher (Meritorious) - Former US Soccer Federation Secretary General and point person for 1994 men's World Cup held in US
- Frank Graziano (Charleston) - SWVASL player, coach, manager, and supporter.
- Scott Fischer (Huntington) - Founder of Soccer Shop Rowdies, former player and coach.
The WVSA Hall of Fame Awards Dinner will be held on February 28, 2015, at the Embassy Suites in downtown Charleston, WV. Additional Information as well as tickets for the event can be found at www.wvsoccer.net/about_us/hall_of_fame/.