Referee Program News
The WVSA Referee Program 2014 Annual Report has been posted in PDF format to the collection of files at the bottom of the "For Referees" page of this website. Also posted is an Excel file with additional data related to the annual report.
In the next couple of weeks, US Soccer will go-live with their NEW online referee registration system at http://ussoccer.force.com/referee. Step-by-step instructions are attached in PDF format.
IF you have ALREADY registered and paid for 2015, you do NOT need to register again. But, since all referees will need to create an account in the new system, you should go ahead and follow steps 1 and 2 in the attached PDF instructions.
If you have not yet paid for 2015, you should do so through this NEW registration system by following steps 1 through 9 in the attached PDF.
The ussoccer.info website will be retired within the next couple of weeks.
Five referees are among the eleven members of the inaugural Class of 2015 of the WV Soccer Association Hall of Fame:
- Dennis Brumfield (Point Pleasant) - Current State Director of Referee Instruction, Former WVSA President, Region I Treasurer, and US Youth Soccer Treasurer.
- The late Gorden Hearnshaw (Charleston) - Former WVSA State Referee Administrator, coach, referee and player.
- Les Baldwin (South Charleston) - Former WVSA State Referee Administrator, referee, instructor and assessor, administrator of SCDYSL and KVSL
- Eric Wood (Charleston) - Former administrator of KVSL, SWVASL, referee, and instructor and WVSA board
- Jane Laraba (Beckley) - Former US Youth Soccer Region I Cup Committee,WVSA administrator, coach, referee and referee instructor
Other inductees in the Class of 2015 include:
- Jay Adams (Wheeling) - Former administrator of Wheeling FC, WVSA and WVSA ODP
- Bob Gray (Huntington) - Two terms as WVSA Director of Coaching, WVSA ODP coach and DOC, current men's head soccer coach of Marshall University
- The late Ken Cross (Elkins) - Former President of WVYSA, administrator, player and coach in Elkins
- Hank Steinbrecher (Meritorious) - Former US Soccer Federation Secretary General and point person for 1994 men's World Cup held in US
- Frank Graziano (Charleston) - SWVASL player, coach, manager, and supporter.
- Scott Fischer (Huntington) - Founder of Soccer Shop Rowdies, former player and coach.
The WVSA Hall of Fame Awards Dinner will be held on February 28, 2015, at the Embassy Suites in downtown Charleston, WV. Additional Information as well as tickets for the event can be found at www.wvsoccer.net/about_us/hall_of_fame/.
Sadness has come to the West Virginia soccer community with the passing of Kevin Carney from Fairmont. Kevin went to be with the Lord at . morning, Oct. 3 from complications of a heart attack he had suffered on July 4, 2014. He had been hospitalized since that time at Pittsburgh Presbyterian Hospital and had suffered a series of heart attacks while in the hospital. Kevin was a friend to all within the league of soccer officials statewide and had been a member of the local high school soccer officials association. Kevin began officiating 11 years ago with the Marion Co. Youth Soccer Assoc. and soon became the referee coordinator, a position he held for several years. He was an instant hit with the younger players and referees and had coached for several years as well. As for being the referee coordinator in Marion Co., Kevin was an outstanding mentor, especially to the younger referees under his guidance and was always more than willing to share advise with others in our region. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at at St. Peter the Fisherman Catholic Church and will be laid to rest at the Hold Cross Cemetery in Fairmont. Indeed, it has been an honor to have Kevin as a colleague and a friend.
US Soccer has released a brief video of "Advice to Parents of New Referees" (approx. 6:00) available at http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/08/29/11/00/140829-advice-to-parents-of-new-referees