Interested in becoming a WV SPOT Ambassador?:
- Who: Any college or graduate student in West Virginia. Students in SPACE, Pulsar Search Collaboratory, and Education majors are especially encouraged to participate, but students from all majors are welcome. We are looking for enthusiastic, reliable, and flexible students, and then we teach you everything you need to know!
- How: Ambassador Application. Note that you will need a faculty Letter of Recommendation. Please ask your letter provider to email their letter as a pdf on the official letterhead of their institution to email@example.com with the title "Letter of Recommendation for [your name]" by September, 2017. The exact date will be announced soon.
- What more Information?
- If you are a student at WVU, contact Kathryn Williamson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a student at Marshall, contact Jon Saken at email@example.com
- If you are a student at Fairmont State, contact Deb Hemler at Deb.Hemler@fairmontstate.edu
- If you are a student at WVWC, contact Tracey DeLaney at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are a student at Shepherd University, contact Jason Best at email@example.com
- If you are a student at WVU Tech, contact Yadi Eslami Amiradbadi at Yadollah.EslamiAmirabadi@mail.wvu.edu
- All other students contact the general SPOT email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ambassador Training Sessions:
- What: Training sessions are weekend-long commitments. Room and board costs are covered. In order to attend the training weekend, your Application (including Faculty Letter of Recommendation) must be submitted by the due date and approved. Note that Ambassadors from WVU must first join the WVU SPOT Club (WVU students should contact Kathryn Williamson to learn more at email@example.com).
- When/Where: The next training weekend will be mid-September, 2017 at the Green Bank Observatory in Green Bank, WV. Exact dates will be announced soon.
To Learn more about what is expected of a SPOT ambassador, review this short slide show:WV SPOT Informational Presentation for Ambassadors
For access to download the presentations, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visiting a School
- Confirm presentation day and time.
- Map out directions and print them if you need to. Plan to arrive at the school half an hour ahead of time.
- Secure equipment if you need it (projector? speakers? computer, flashdrive)
- Sign out all the supplies you will need from the SPOT bin
- buy more hands-on supplies if you need them
- copy of the Reporting Form
- Submit Travel Authorization form to email@example.com
- Set up speakers, projector, and computer. Troubleshoot if necessary.
- Coordinate with the teacher to obtain reporting information
- Gather all supplies for your return (including cords!)
- Return all supplies to the SPOT bin immediately
- Fill in Reporting Form below
Presentation Reporting Form:
This is for SPOT ambassadors ONLY. Click the link above to log hours for all SPOT activities excluding presentations.
Record hours for:
- Getting certified for presentations
- SPOT meetings
- Special SPOT events (SPOT Summit, STEM Fairs, etc..)
- Recruiting in classrooms
- Any other activities deemed appropriate by management