1886-87: Mokelumne Ditch and Irrigation Company (later Woodbridge Canal and Irrigation Company) is formed after Byron D. Beckwith records 4 notices of appropriation and secures water rights for Mokelumne River water at Woodbridge.
1891: Woodbridge Canal and Irrigation Company constructs a wooden dam on the Mokelumne River, a headgate, and 24 miles of canals in 3 extensions: North, West, and East (South) canals. This dam was located just north of the current fish screen and headgates.
1895-98: The dam fails and Woodbridge Canal and Irrigation Company is foreclosed upon and liquidated by an order of the US Circuit Court, 9th Judicial Circuit. All property, water rights, and titles of the Woodbridge Canal and Irrigation Company are sold for $22,000 to the Stockton Mokelumne Canal Company of Stockton.
1901: A new wooden dam is constructed at the current location of the present dam, for a cost of $25,000.
1910: A new concrete dam is constructed at the same location of the previous wooden dam. The new dam is built on the original wooden piles from the 1901 dam and costs just over $40,000.
1910-12: California Corporation of Sacramento purchases the Stockton Mokelumne Canal Company stocks and bonds for $100,000. A new Stockton Mokelumne Canal Company is formed when a group of irrigators completes a buy out from the California Corporation of Sacramento.
1913: Concrete headgate controls are constructed.
1917: An organization petition for formation of a California irrigation district is circulated, with the support of 234 landowners represented by 22,000 acres of local land.
1924: Woodbridge irrigation District (WID) forms as a political subdivision (California Irrigation District) under state statutes with 11,200 acres of land.
1927-28: WID enters into an agreement for the purchase of the Stockton Mokelumne Canal Company; resulting in that purchase including all water rights for $246,404.
1938: WID and EBMUD enter into a water delivery agreement.
1947: WID purchases 96.9 acres of undeveloped land east of the diversion Dam.
1965: WID and EBMUD enter into an agreement to supply 60 thousand acre feet(TAF) in most years and 39 TAF (known as the Permanent Regulated Base Supply (PRBS) in extremely dry years and an additional 56.7 TAF known as the interim supply.
1967: in cooperation with the California Departments of Fish and Game and Fish and Wildlife Services, WID constructs a fish screen at the diversion canal headworks to keep fish in the Mokelumne River and out of the canal system.
2003: WID enters into an agreement with the City of Lodi to provide water for municipal use to supplement the City’s supply of ground water.
2004: A new, fully automated diversion dam, with twin gates and three different types of fish ladders is constructed to replace the old 1910 dam structure.
2007: A new, fully automated fish screen and head gates are constructed at the diversion canal, replacing the antiquated 1967 fish screen. The new fish screen includes an underground smolt bypass pipeline that facilitates the transition of fish from within the fish screen to the tail waters below the dam.
2008: WID enters into an agreement with the City of Stockton to provide water for municipal use to supplement The City’s supply from existing sources. Whereby, Woodbridge upgraded and made improvements to its Wilkerson Canal to deliver up to 50 cfs through its canal system, costing $1.2 million in construction.
2011: A new office building is constructed by WID directly across Lower Sacramento Road in Woodbridge from the original office building that was built in 1926.
2020 Pixley Lateral Pipeline is virtually complete and is being tested to deliver 50 cubic feet per second (50 cfs), or 22,500 gallons per minute, to the Stockton Delta Water Treatment Plant (DWTP). The project also provides screened water under a 10' head pressure to growers along the 11,000 foot long pipeline route. The project cost is $ 4.5 million to construct.