The Wolgamuth Church of the Brethren was founded in 1844. For 139 years (1844-1983) the Wolgamuth church body was part of two congregations: the Big Conewago Church (1844-1849) and the Lower Conewago Church (1849-1983). The Lower Conewago Congregation was comprised of the Bermudian and Wolgamuth meeting houses. Wolgamuth, the older of the two houses, was named after Christian Wolgamuth, who sold the property in 1844 for the amount of $5.00 for the purpose of a burial site and the erection of a church. In the fall of 1983, it became independent of the Lower Conewago Church.
Through most of its history Wolgamuth Church was served by "free ministry" pastors. These ministers supported themselves by being employed in another job or their own business (such as farming) and were not paid for their pastoral leadership. In the summer of 1968 a seminary student became the first paid pastor through a field program. Since that time the church has been served by paid part-time pastors.
Wolgamuth now supports a full time Minister.
The congregation has consistently ministered in a community of many churches to a diverse group of people. It has developed ministries to serve the needs of all ages, and supports several local and foreign missions and ministries.
The photograph at the top of this page is the inscription on a large rock unearthed when Wolgamuth's current building was built. It is still displayed outside the church building today, sharing our joy with the world.
Images Property of their respective Owners