WELCOME TO THE WOBURN SANDS BOWLS CLUB WEB SITE

Woburn Sands Bowls Club moved from the centre of Woburn Sands to new club facilities off Common Lane in Aspley Guise, near to the golf club (see Find us). 

2015 saw the beginning of a new era for our long established club, with our bowling season starting in April, members have enjoyed the larger premises and improved playing facilities. Affiliated to the Buckinghamshire Bowls Association, Woburn Sands Bowls Club enters national, county and local matches as well as friendly games which are played every weekend during the season.  The club also run a Tuesday league and a turn-up and bowl on a Thursday which are a great ‘get together’ for bowlers and beginners alike.
 

In addition to the 6 rink grass bowls green, we have a 4 rink artificial playing surface. This allows our bowls season to be extended as well as providing suitable learning & coaching facilities for young and old alike. We also provide full facilities for the disabled player.

The running of the club is on totally voluntary basis with members carrying out the various necessary jobs including green maintenance, gardening, catering and running the bar. 

During the winter months on most Fridays we have a social evening where members meet at the clubhouse for a chat, a game of cards and a drink. We also have other events, such as organised evening meals nights and weekend lunches.

If you are interested in playing bowls and joining a friendly club in pleasant surroundings, please contact the Secretary, Dorothy Ruffle on 01908 583578 or by email wsbowls.co.uk@gmail.com or use the contact us on this website.




CLUB HISTORY

    Established in 1922 the club moved to Aspley Guise (near to Aspley Guise and Woburn Sands Golf) in 2015 from the back of the High Street in Woburn Sands.  The club has a 6 rink 'grass' green and a 3/4 rink artificial green. The old club in Woburn Sands originally had 4 rinks and was a male only club. In those days Woburn Sands had 2 greens the other being at The Swan on the site of the pub car park.
    
    The club operated as a section of the Social Club with a small club house next to the green but refreshment taken in the Social Club bar. For many years there was also an indoor rink in the old wooden Social Club building (now demolished). In the 1950s the green was extended to the 6 rinks.

    In 1958 a ladies section was formed. This existed as a separate section with the ladies only allowed to use the green in the afternoon until the mid 70s.The club became a fully integrated mixed club in 1999.
    
    Also in 1958 a brick pavilion was built giving the club a small function room and bar but no kitchen with after match refreshments having to be brought in on trays. The biggest change to the facilities came in 2001 when a substantial donation from the landlord, Mr Philip Menday, helped to obtain a lottery grant. This enabled the pavilion to be extended to include a larger club room, changing rooms, kitchen, toilets and bar. At the same time the banks to the green were improved and a sprinkler system installed.