- Marijuana is the third most popular recreational drug in the Unites States
- About 13 million American smoke Marijuana each year.
- Its popularity began in the 60’s as a rebellious drug. Then came 1979 when it grew in popularity with ages from 18-25 smoking at least once a month.
- THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) is the primary psychoactive agent in Marijuana.
- According to the Federal Bureau of Investigations Crime Reporting Program there are an estimated 1,841,182 State and Local arrests that were attributed to Marijuana in 2007.
- Short term affects of Marijuana include memory and learning problems, a distorted sense of perception, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, loss of coordination, increased heart rate, and anxiety.
- Marijuana is also the most widely used illegal drug in the United States.
- Marijuana is a green or gray mixture of dried, shredded flowers and
leaves of the hemp plant Cannabis sativa. There are over 200 slang terms
for marijuana. Some of the slang names that are used to describe marijuana are: pot, weed, grass, gonga, Mary Jane.
Works Cited:http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/drugfact/marijuana/marijuana_ff.html http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/marijuana.htm