Withington Public Hall and Institute

An unusual small building on the north side of Burton Road is Withington Public Hall and Institute. It has the date of 1861 in the brickwork and was a gift of Lord Egerton of Tatton.  The Hall has functioned officially as a members club since 1906, and in the 1990s, it had a membership of some 400. It housed an early lending library for Withington (1861-1911), which eventually became the current Public Library, and, in the main room, there used to be a large fire in the winter for members and visitors.

The Hall now serves as a members club (originally for men only, but now admitting women). It is usually closed to visitors. One of the Civic Society members has had the opportunity to view the interior as well as an extensive historical archives of documents, committee minutes, photographs, newspaper articles, etc. Here are some photographs of the building and example documents from the archives, including an indenture between Baron Egerton of Tatton and others, mentioning the Public Library, Reading Room and Literary Institution in the Public Hall.

August 2017: The Hall is seeking new members and wishing to expand its membership, and build new links with the community.

 
 
withington public hall and institute
 
 
 
 
 
 

Return to Main Page