Alexander Park Aerodrome

In 1917, the War Office decided to create an aerodrome in the Withington area and chose a stretch of land from Hough End to Old Hall Farm (now in Old Moat). The land was owned by the Egerton family but was requisitioned by the government....
Alexander Park aerodrome, Withington

Read more in this article by John Davies.

John Davies also supplied this photograph [right] of the aerodrome taken in 1918. The location is the corner of Mauldeth Road West and Princess Road. The plane shown is a DH9 built in Heaton Chapel.
[Photograph: ©Manchester Central Reference Library]

Here is a map of the aerodrome and the surrounding area, showing the then railway, roads and the local streams.