Directories

Kelly's


Kelly's Directories - 1889,  1895, 1911, 1915

                                                                                        Transcribed by Stephen Plowman



Kelly’s 1889

 

WINTERBORNE STEEPLETON, is a parish and pretty village, pleasantly situated in a vale on the high road between Bridport and Weymouth, 4 miles west-by-south of Dorchester, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Uggescombe, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Dorchester and rural deanery of Bridport Abbotsbury portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  The church of St. Michael is a long narrow building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, with slate roof and tower with hexagonal spire and four pinnacles and one bell; the south porch is a curious specimen of ancient English architecture; over the south door and the blocked north door, are Norman arches; there are 100 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1558.  The living is a rectory, united with that of Winterborne Abbas, gross joint yearly value £470, including residence and 114 acres of glebe in Winterborne Steepleton and 88 in Winterborne Abbas, in the gift of Lincoln College, Oxford; and now (1889) vacant.  Twynihow W Erle esq. 1 Cambridge gate, Regent park, London, is lord of the manor and the principal landowner.  The soil is light gravel; subsoil, chalk.  The chief crops are corn and pasture.  The area is 1,783 acres; rateable value, £1,126; the population in 1881 was 148.

Parish Clerk Thomas Elford
WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 5.40 p.m. week days; 6.20 a.m. Sundays
Letters are from Dorchester via Winterborne Abbas, arrive at 6.30a.m. & 4 p.m.  The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Dorchester.
Here is a small school for this parish & that of Winterborne Abbas, which holds 60 children; average attendance,39; Miss Mary Boome, mistress

Groves Miss
Hawkins Henry William, Manor house
Chilcott Edwd. Threshing machine propr
Barrell Ezra, head gamekeeper to Henry F. Pollock esq
Elford wm. Hy. Miller (water) & baker
Hawkins Henry William, farmer
Paul William, farmer

 

Kelly’s 1895

WINTERBORNE STEEPLETON, is a parish and pretty village, pleasantly situated in a vale, on the high road between Bridport and Weymouth, 4 miles west-by-south from Dorchester stations on the London and South Western and Great Western railways, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Uggescombe, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Dorchester and rural deanery of Bridport Abbotsbury portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  The church of St. Michael is a long narrow building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, with slate roof and tower with hexagonal spire and four pinnacles and one bell; the south porch is a curious specimen of ancient English architecture; over the south door and the blocked north door, are Norman arches; there are 100 sittings.  Outside the church, at the south-west angle, is the sculptured figure of an angel, supposed to date from the 9th century, and the upper portion of the font is considered to be of the same date as this figure.  The register dates from the year 1558.  The living is a rectory, united to that of Winterborne Abbas, joint yearly value £437, net £364, including residence and 114 acres of glebe in Winterborne Steepleton and 88 in Winterborne Abbas, in the gift of Lincoln College, Oxford; and held since 1889 by the Rev. William Floyer Cornish M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford.  Twynihow W Erle esq. 1 Cambridge gate, Regent park, London, is lord of the manor and the principal landowner.  The soil is light gravel; subsoil, chalk.  The chief crops are corn and pasture.  The area is 1,831 acres; rateable value, £1,077; the population in 1881 was 140.

Parish Clerk Thomas Elford
WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 8.18 p.m. daily
Letters are from Dorchester via Winterborne Abbas, which is the nearest money order office,arrive at 6.30a.m. & 4 p.m.  The nearest telegraph office is at Little Bredy.
Here is a small school for this parish & that of Winterborne Abbas, which holds 85 children; average attendance,67; A.W. Waugh, master.

Cornish Rev. Wm Floyer M.A. Rectory
Stilwell Henry J.P. Steepleton Manor
Bartley Frederick, farm bailiff to H Stilwell esq
Chilcott Edward, threshing machine proprietor & farmer
Elford Wm. Hy. Miller (water) & baker
Jahns Fredk. Grdnr. Steepleton manor
Lake Henry, dairyman
Paul Matthew, Farmer
Yarnell Thomas, gamekeeper to H Stilwell esq

 

 Kelly’s 1911

 

WINTERBORNE STEEPLETON, is a parish and pretty village, pleasantly situated in a vale, on the high road between Bridport and Weymouth, 4 1/2 miles west-by-south from Dorchester stations on the London and South Western and Great Western railways, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Uggescombe, petty sessional division, union and county court districts of Dorchester and rural deanery of Bridport (Abbotsbury portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  The church of St. Michael is a long narrow building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, south porch,  and a tower with hexagonal spire and four pinnacles and one bell; the north and south doorways are Norman; there are 100 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1558.  The living is a rectory, united to that of Winterborne Abbas, joint net yearly value £348, including residence and 114 acres of glebe in Winterborne Steepleton and 88 in Winterborne Abbas, in the gift of Lincoln College, Oxford; and held since 1889 by the Rev. William Floyer Cornish M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford.  Henry Stilwell esq J.P. is the principal landowner.  The soil is light gravel; subsoil, chalk.  The chief crops are corn and pasture.  The area is 1,829 acres of land and 2 of water; rateable value, £1,006; the population in 1901 was 120.


Parish Clerk William Dunford
Letters are from Dorchester via Winterborne Abbas, arrive at 7.30a.m. & 1 p.m.  The nearest telegraph office is at Winterborne St. Martin, 11/2 miles distant, & money order office at Dorchester.
WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 10.15 a.m. & 8.18p.m. daily
The children of this place attend the school at Winterborne Abbas.
Assistant Overseer, Thomas Alfred Pearce F.C.A. 47 South street, Dorchester

Cornish Rev. Wm Floyer M.A. Rectory
Stilwell Henry J.P. Steepleton Manor
COMMERCIAL
Allen John, farmer
Biles Thomas, gamekeeper to H Stilwell esq J.P.
Bartley Frederick, farm bailiff to H Stilwell esq J.P.
Bowditch Lewis Alfred, dairyman
Lunn Mark, gardener to H Stilwell esq J.P.
Perham Robert, farm bailiff to H Stilwell esq J.P.

 

 Kelly’s 1915

 

WINTERBORNE STEEPLETON, is a parish and pretty village, pleasantly situated in a vale, on the high road between Bridport and Weymouth, 4 1/2 miles west-by-south from Dorchester stations on the London and South Western and Great Western railways, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Uggescombe, petty sessional division, union and county court districts of Dorchester and rural deanery of Bridport (Abbotsbury portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  The church of St. Michael is a long narrow building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, south porch,  and a tower with hexagonal spire and four pinnacles and containing one bell; the north and south doorways are Norman; there are 100 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1558.  The living is a rectory, united to that of Winterborne Abbas, joint net yearly value £348, including residence and 114 acres of glebe in Winterborne Steepleton and 88 in Winterborne Abbas, in the gift of Lincoln College, Oxford; and held since 1889 by the Rev. William Floyer Cornish M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford.  Major Charles Henry Stilwell is the principal landowner.  The soil is light gravel; subsoil, chalk.  The chief crops are corn and pasture.  The area is 1,829 acres of land and 2 of water; rateable value, £1,023; the population in 1911 was 103.


Parish Clerk William Dunford
Letters are from Dorchester via Winterborne Abbas, arrive at 7.30a.m. & 1 p.m.  The nearest telegraph office is at Winterborne St. Martin, 11/2 miles distant, & money order office at Dorchester.
WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 10.15 a.m. & 8.18p.m. daily
The children of this place attend the school at Winterborne Abbas.
Assistant Overseer, Thomas Alfred Pearce F.C.A. 47 South street, Dorchester

Ashton Alfred Robert M.A. (curate)
Cornish Rev. Wm Floyer M.A. Rectory
Pease Godfrey B. Steepleton Manor
COMMERCIAL
Allen John, farmer
Biles Thomas, gamekeeper to G.B. Pease esq
Bowditch Lewis Alfred, dairyman
Burch Harry Ashley, The Manor Farm
Lunn Mark, gardener to G.B. Pease esq

         

Comments