Day 2 How did these attempts to harvest wild yeast actually
Day 1 and Wild
Yeast Harvesting, covering the results from day 1 to day 10, and
the conclusions. The
story so far: #3, kahm-covered leaves, has already begun to ferment on
|1. Kefir grains in apple
I added some real apple juice to the kefir grains. There were a few
tiny specks of foam at the top. Not enough to consider it fermentation
and award it second place, but enough to hope that it will begin
2. Raisins, apple peel and
now just lemon juice. Fermentation had begun, so it gets second place,
but mold was forming on the lemon wedge. I altered the instructions on
the website, which had said to use a lemon wedge. It now says to add a
few drops of lemon juice from a used wedge of lemon, instead, even
though the lemon wedge is still in the picture. I removed the mold and
the lemon wedge and put the jar back. It should be OK.
3. Kahm covered leaves.
Fermenting continues same as yesterday.
Same as yesterday, still no fermentation.
A little more white stuff on top but no fermentation.
6. The malt extract
was increasing in foam at the top, so I put some of it into warm water
in a plastic soda pop bottle with screw-on cap to use for this test,
and put the remaninder into the fridge. The bottle I have made here
will make a bottle of small beer (a beer with little alcohol) in a few
days. Research is tough :-).