205 N. Canon Dr. | map | Opened: November 22, 1946 as the Hitching Post Theatre. The opening was attended by Roy Rogers, Dale Evans and Trigger (among other celebrities). A crowd of 2,000 turned out.
This is evidently the only surviving look at the theatre with its
original Hitching Post signage. It was taken at the 1946 grand
opening, where Roy Rogers rode up to the theatre on Trigger.
full size view
The December 7, 1946 issue of Boxoffice magazine had an article on the opening where they noted that this venue was the fifth under the Hitching post name for the local ABC Circuit, no relation to the later nationwide ABC Paramount circuit. The article included several photos, but none showed the building itself.
There were other Hitching Post theatres in Hollywood and Santa Monica. And supposedly in Pasadena and Long Beach as well but city directories for those cities have not turned up any theatres operating under the Hitching Post name.
Architect: Unknown Status: Demolished in 2005.
We've tried to give appropriate credit. Please
contact us if there are incorrect attributions, links that
no longer work or other issues. A link near each image will
direct you to a full size version on the website hosting it.
Assume that all the images are subject to copyright
restrictions. Contact the webmaster of the site in
question concerning reproduction or other use.
A 1950 view of the Beverly Canon from Kimberly
Vinokur Reiss. The theatre is running "Trio," a film
based on three stories by W. Somerset Maugham.
full size view
The photo can also be seen as a post by
Kimberly on the LAHTF Facebook page.