Professor Ananda Kithsiri Wijenayaka Jayawardane
Prof. Ananda Jayawardane, born in 1960 is an academic, a researcher and a consultant with wide experience and expertise in teaching, research and consultancy and a leader and an administrator with a vision and achievements. He is an effective communicator and an international professional engineer with active involvements with professional bodies, industry and Science and Technology Institutions. He is the current Vice Chancellor, the former dean of the Faculty of Engineering, former head of the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Moratuwa and the first Head of the Department of Management of Technology, University of Moratuwa.
This great personality is a creative lateral thinker, inspirational speaker and an unblemished character of honesty, integrity and loyalty.
Early Life and Education
Professor Ananda Kithsiri Wijenayaka Jayawardane’s parents were teachers by profession. Having had his primary education in the village school, he came to Mahinda Colllege, Galle for his secondary education from which he passed out successfully, being qualified to enter the University Of Moratuwa. On completion of his degree in Civil Engineering with a first class honours, he had his further education in Loughborough University of Technology, UK.
At the end of his undergraduate education he was awarded BSc Engineering degree with first class honours in December 1983. And soon after, he was invited to join the academic staff at University of Moratuwa. He obtained a Master of Science Degree in Construction at the Loughborough University of Technology in 1986 becoming the first in the batch of students representing 19 countries and obtained the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the area of Construction Management in January 1990.After returning to University of Moratuwa, he became Senior Lecturer in 1990 and a Chartered Engineer in 1994 and was elected as a Council member of Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka. His lecturing areas were Construction Technology, Construction Planning, Construction Management, Project Management, Research Methodology and Communication Skill Development. He was promoted to Senior Lecturer Grade I in 1996. He was successful in joining the Wolverhampton University, UK as a visiting research fellow on a Common Wealth Fellowship to spend his first sabbatical.
Recognizing his leadership and administrative potential, he was invited to be the first Head of the Department of Management of Technology, University of Moratuwa and left this Department in May 2002 to take up the Headship of the Department of Civil Engineering. His continuing research, publications, contributions to university and national development activities helped him to become one of the youngest Professors in Civil Engineering on merit in December 2002.Prof.Jayawardane was elected as the Dean, Faculty of Engineering in 2004 and remained in this prestigious position until 2010.This great leader was the first NDB Bank Endowed Professor in Entrepreneurship from Nov 2010 to Nov. 2011. And he carried out many programs to introduce and promote entrepreneurship among undergraduates.He is the current Vice Chancellor of University of Moratuwa with effect from 2011.
Research and Publications –link to staff profile for all the list of publications
Prof.Ananda.Jayawardane diversified his research work into different fields such as Entrepreneurship, International Ttechnology Transfer and Technology Diffusion, Technology Management ,Technology Infrastructure and National Innovation Systems ,Project Management, Construction Management Productivity,Social Management Systems and Disaster Management.
Being an educationalist that possessed excellent writing capabilities, he was involved in a large number of publications.
Construction Productivity Management, published by Addison Wesley Longman, UK, Hardback, 291pages, 1998. Other authors - Olomolaiye, P.O., and Harris, F.C.
• Book Chapters
o Business for Development: Creating an enabling environment for South Asian SME’s effective penetration in regional and global markets 2011 – UN publication.
o Public-Private Sector Partnership in “Technology Transfer and Small & Medium Enterprises in Developing Countries” eds K. Ramanathan, Keeth Jacobs and M. Bandyopadhyay, Centre for Science & Technology of the Non Aligned and Other Developing Countries, published by Daya Publishing House, Delhi, 2011
• Selected Journal Articles
• Jeyakanthan, J. and JAYAWARDANE, A.K.W. (2012), Mitigating project delays in donor funded road projects in Sri Lanka, Engineer, Journal of the IESL, Vol. xxxxv No. 1.
• Hemachandra, D.G. and JAYAWARDANE, A.K.W. (2007). Successes and failures of Sri Lanka Railways in international technology transfer, Engineer, Journal of the IESL, Vol. XXXX No.2.
• Navaratne, D and JAYAWARDANE, A.K.W. (2007) Measurement of Total Factor Productivity in the Sri Lanka construction industry, Engineer, Journal of the IESL, Vol. XXXX No.1.
• priorities in the construction industry, Proc. of the International Seminar on Engineering Management for Accelerated Development in South and South East Asia’ organised by the IESL, Hotel Trans Asia, Colombo on 27th and 28th Oct. 2001.
In recognition for his outstanding talents in the field of engineering, Prof. Jayawardane was awarded the following prestigious awards.
• IESL award for the best paper published by a corporate member in the ‘Engineer’, Journal of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka in the year 2008.
• CDE award for the best paper published by a corporate member in the ‘Engineer’, Journal of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka in the year 1997/98.
• Commonwealth Fellowship for post-doctoral research in the UK, Aug. 1996 - Aug. 1997.
• CDE award for the best paper published by a corporate member in the ‘Engineer’, Journal of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka in the year 1993/94.
• Joint winner of Prof. VARGHESE award for the best undergraduate and post-graduate project in the academic year 1983/84, University of Moratuwa.
• MANAMPERI award for the best undergraduate project in Sri Lanka for the year 1983.
Being a proven visionary leader with a sense of mission, team builder and team player, this eminent personality played a large number of leadership roles driving his followers to unparallel success.
Key leadership and administrative positions held at UOM
• Vice Chancellor with effect from Nov. 2011.
• First NDB Bank Endowed Professor in Entrepreneurship from Nov 2010 to Nov. 2011.
• Elected Dean, Faculty of Engineering, March 2004 to March 2010 (elected twice uncontested).
• Member, Council of University of Moratuwa from March 2004 to March 2010 and Chairman from December 2011.
• Member, University Senate and Senate standing committees of By-laws and Higher Degrees.
• Head, Department of Civil Engineering from May 2002 to March 2004.
• First Head, Department of Management of Technology from Nov. 1998 to June 2002.
• Team Leader of the Corporate Plan development Committee for the University of Moratuwa: 2001-2006, 2007-2012 and 2010-2015 (three times).
• Board member, Institute of Technology University of Moratuwa from April 2004 to March 2010.
• Board member, University Consultancy Services since inception until 2010.
Leadership at the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka (IESL), premier professional body of engineers
• President of the IESL from Oct 2010 – Oct. 2011, President-Elect of the IESL from Oct. 2009 – Oct. 2010, Vice President of the IESL from Oct. 2007 – Oct. 2009.
• Elected Council Member of the IESL for over ten sessions from 1994 to 2007.
• Chairman and member of several standing committees of the IESL: Membership Committee, Education and Training Committee, Library Publications and Publicity Committee, Junior Inventor of the Year (JIY) Committee, Development & Professional Affairs Committee, Continuing Professional Development Committee, By-laws Committee, Registration Board and Editorial Board.
• Member of several standing committees of the IESL: Civil Engineering Sectional Committee, Accreditation Board, Board of Trustees and Benevolent Fund.
Official website of University Of Moratuwa