What is a CDC?
CDC stands for Career Development Coordinator. This position is responsible for coordinating career development services for ALL students. Your CDC facilitates linkages with parents, business/industry, postsecondary institutions, and community organizations to support students’ transition to postsecondary education and employment.
What can the CDC do for me?
· Career Inventory Assessments: These help match a student's interests with possible career areas and assist with future planning.
· Exploring Careers and Related Post-secondary institutions: After the student has explored career interests, the CDC can help them determine what schooling is necessary to get there. Along with the student's counselor the CDC can educate students on possible post-secondary institutions that offer particular majors and requirements to attend these institutions.
· Employment Skills: Job search tips, application process, cover letters, resume writing, interviewing tips, thank you letters, etc.
· Internships: What is a better way of exploring a career than to be immersed in it. Students complete 180 hours of work-based learning while earning high school credit.
· Job Shadowing: This gives students are opportunity to see what they are learning in class in a real world setting.
· Career Fairs: This is an excellent opportunity for students to meet real world professionals in the area that are interested in.
Why Visit the CDC?
· Every student whether they are college bound or going straight into the workforce is more successful in learning when they can see how the concept directly relates to their future.
· Every student will eventually enter the workforce. If they know what their future plans are it may help motivate them for success in their classes.
Meet your CDC
My name is Sarah Joyner and I am Wakefield High School’s Career Development Coordinator. I have been at Wakefield for 7 years and I am passionate about the students here at Wakefield and helping them reach their future goals. I have an open door policy, so please feel free to come by and see me anytime. My office is located in Student Services, or you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.