s.s. Mahroussa


'Mahroussa
was an ocean-going steamer, as big or bigger than many

of the liners of its time. She was designed by Oliver Lang (designer of

Queen Victoria's first steam yacht, the Victoria and Albert) and built

in 1865 at their Poplar works on the Thames by the Samuda Brothers,

who were among the pioneers of iron shipbuilding and beginning to

specialize in ironclad warships. The original design had paddle wheel

propulsion, but the ship was converted in 1905 to turbines and triple

screws.
'  (http://www.innerwheel95.org/visits_alex.php)




1865 - present




'Our big ship looked quite small and poor after the gorgeous

Mahroussa, the latter being one mass of silk hangings, Gobelins,

gildings, mirrors, tables of Italian marble, mosaic, mother-of-

pearl, &c.'


Catharina Therése L.F.E. Fouché (duchesse d'Otrante.) 1869.




 'The graceful 478 by 43 foot, 3,762 ft iron-hulled SS Mahroussa was built in

England in 1865 by the Samuda Brothers of Poplar, London for the ruler of

Egypt, Khedive Ismail Pasha. The vessel was designed along the same lines

as the British Royal Yacht, HMY Victoria and Albert. The Mahroussa was the

Egyptian Royal Yacht until the monarchy was overthrown in 1952.

 
  Her greatest claim to historical fame is that, as the Egyptian royal yacht,

she was among the first ships leading the procession through the brand new

Suez Canal in 1869 with L'Aigle, imperial yacht of Napoleon III of France.

Royal Yacht is in this case a misleading term - Mahroussa was an ocean-going

steamer, as big or bigger than many of the liners of its time. She was designed

by Oliver Lang (designer of Queen Victoria's first steam yacht, the Victoria

and Albert
) and built in 1865 at their Poplar works on the Thames by the

Samuda Brothers, who were among the pioneers of iron shipbuilding and

beginning to specialize in ironclad warships. The original design had paddle

wheel propulsion, but the ship was converted in 1905 to turbines and triple

screws.


 
  Sometime in the latter 19th century, she was cut in two and had approx. 40'

added to her length. She was rebuilt in 1905/6 in Italy and became one of the

earliest ships of any size to be fitted with steam turbines. She was refitted

and modernized in Italy in the late 1940s/early 1950s.



After the abdication of King Farouk, she was taken over by the Egyptian

government for use as a naval training ship, and renamed El Horria (Al

Horreyya
) and has since served in that role and, off and on, as the

presidential yacht. She is considered to be an historical shrine by the

Egyptian Navy at Alexandria.



In 1976, at the age of 111 years, she steamed to New York to take part in the

US bicentennial celebration. The ship's condition is immaculate, and duty in

her is considered a great honor in the Egyptian Naval Forces. El Horria goes to

sea about three times a year, usually just for the day.'

http://www.innerwheel95.org/visits_alex.php