There are 3 Celtic crosses in the churchyard; the
monks of Whalley attributed them to St.
Augustine which would make them some 1370 years old.
More modern estimates date the oldest cross to the 10th century and
taking the Celtic pattern into account it is more likely that they commemorate
a Scottish mission from Iona.
their existence here proves that a Christian presence was established before
the Norman Conquest in 1066!
During rioting under the Commonwealth a mob
overturned the crosses threw them into a ditch. William Johnson, Vicar
1738-1776 had them restored and firmly fastened into their original bases.