The 13th Century Church building is Grade 1 listed. The earliest parts date from the 11th Century but the Chancel is attributed to Petrus de Cestria who was Rector from 1235 to 1295. The Roll of Deans and Rectors of Whalley goes back to 1122AD; it is also interesting to note that between 1348 and 1537 monks from the Abbey were incumbents here.
The Nave is from the later 13th century and the tower was added in the 15th Century.
St. Mary & All Saints is included in Simon Jenkins’ book ‘England’s Thousand Best Churches’; for this reason the Church sees many visitors during the afternoons when the church is open. Perhaps the most notable features are the choir stalls in the chancel. These were carved for the Abbey around 1430 and were moved from the Abbey at the time of the dissolution. Three of the 15th Century misericords have inscriptions; one in Latin, one in Norman French and one in early English.
The organ was built originally in 1727 for Lancaster Priory but was moved to Whalley in 1813 as a gift from the local benefactor Adam Cottam.
The eight bells were cast in 1924 by John Taylor & Co. of Loughborough.
The church now has facilities for the disabled and a new servery for refreshments after morning worship or other events.