Workers Permit

Student Worker's Permit 

Students under 16 years old must obtain a work permit before beginning a job. This includes home-schoolers. 

In order to apply for a work permit, the student must be:

  1. enrolled in school;
  2. not habitually truant or under suspension; and
  3. passing a majority of courses during the current grading period.

Once the student has a promise of a job, here are the next steps to obtaining a worker's permit.

If you download the Maine Work Permit Form and bring it completed to the Superintendent's Office, the parent / guardian will only need to bring a copy of the student's birth certificate and a work permit authorization form from the student's guidance counselor that indicates they are currently enrolled in school and passing a majority of their courses.

If you come to the Superintendent's Office with out a completed form, we will supply the form to the parent / guardian to complete and they should bring the following documentation:

  • Copy of the student's birth certificate;
  • Work Permit Authorization form from the student's guidance counselor; and
  • Copy of the student's social security card or know the number.

Additionally, you will be asked the name of the employer, address and telephone number; what type of business it is and what the student will be doing for work.

The Superintendent’s Office will complete the permit and mail the form along with a copy of the student's birth certificate to the Maine Department of Labor. It is the duty of the Department of Labor to ensure that the student is of legal age to work and that the type of work / business is not hazardous.

The Maine Department of Labor will keep a copy and return a copy of the approved worker's permits to the Superintendent's Office who will then mail it directly to the student's home address.

Employers must have a stamped, approved work permit on file before allowing any student under 16 years old to work.  Permits are issued for specific jobs and specific employers and are not transferable to any other job or employer.

Students may only have one (1) active permit during the school year and two (2) during the summer.  

Upon leaving a job, the student or the employer should return the employer copy of the permit to the Department of Labor so that it can be invalidated. Please remember that students must get a new permit every time they begin a new job until they reach 16 years old, even if they work for their parents.