A gateway to Vermont – we were the first Brattleboro!

Chartered in 1753, the town of Brattleboro was originally centered in what is now West Brattleboro. When steamboats and then the railroad brought services along the Connecticut River, however, the commercial hub naturally gravitated to what is now the downtown.  The "West Village" continued its own vitality and retained its more rural nature.

So West Brattleboro today, besides a thriving village center in its own right, is an area chock full of history such as The Rutherford Hayes Tavern (ca. 1790), original home of the president’s grandfather, and Meetinghouse Cemetery sitting high on the hill where also sat the first Meeting House (1768). This was described in 1876 by the Rev. Lewis Grout as standing “about eight rods west of the old cemetery, half a mile northward of the Harris hill, three or four rods northward from the present Smith Miller line, or about ten rods westward from the Rev. Abner Reeve's grave.”

Steeped in history, and quaint as this is, West Brattleboro also boasts a healthy number of thriving businesses, many of which are visited by people coming through on their way to visit other areas of the beautiful state of Vermont, particularly west of here. We invite you to stop by when next in Vermont and see what we’re all about!

Creamery Bridge, now only a footpath, but used by one car at a time
for its more than 100 year life until this past year.


The West Brattleboro Association and the West Brattleboro First Congregational Church are co-sponsoring a chicken barbeque on Saturday, October 8th, starting at 11 a.m. and lasting until it's all gone.  Plan to get to the event in front of the First Congregational Church on Western Avenue in West Brattleboro in plenty of time to enjoy the chicken and fixin's.  

The WBA will be supplying and cooking the chickens and the Church will be supplying the baked beans and coleslaw.  The chicken only will cost $7 and the full meal $10.  The Church will also be supplying baked goods.

Proceeds from the BBQ help defray the expense of the projects undertaken by the West Brattleboro Association and by the First Congregational Church.

Photo of the intersection of Marlboro Road and Sunset Lake Road. 
Taken by Porter Thayer, most likely between 1907 and 1920.  This
image is used with permission from the descendents of Porter Thayer,
and was supplied by the Brattleboro Historical Society.